Creepy shit because I wanted $50

Alright, this is the one and only time I've ever sold something on Facebook marketplace. I probably will sell something again in the future because I don't learn. Anyways:

I had this men's mountain bike I no longer needed since I planned on buying a new, less bulky bicycle. Sure, nothing was wrong with the bike I had, and that's exactly what I said in the listing. I rode it a good bit, but took very good care of it. Needless to say, I treated it like a child. Once I put the listing up my inbox started flooding right away with people asking about it's availability. It wasn't surprising how many of the cash offers were as low as $10. I listed the bike at $100 expecting some low bids, but I only wanted half. Eventually, after two days of "Is this available?" I received one that seemed off from the start. "Hey there, friend." was how he started the conversation. Didn't know I was friends with this man, but anyways: It was a middle-aged man, I want to say around 40-50. He had 203 friends so I knew he didn't just create his account. He would send a photo of himself smiling after every message. A little weird, but I didn't want to think too much of it as he was offering $65 in cash and would pick it up by that Saturday morning. The man eventually said "I'm no good with technology, can we talk through call?" I was reluctant, but did not want to lose the business so I called the number he had sent. He sounded quite nice, very literate and poised, he also owned a dog since I could hear it barking. "It's a beagle" he said, I felt comfortable with this man and the whole exchange was set in stone. Note that it was a Tuesday when he first contacted me.

Over the next three days this man would message me 20-30 times a day saying things along the lines of "I can't wait to see this bicycle!" or "Please tell me you haven't sold it yet." or "We're still on for Saturday?" and it got annoying because he'd send pictures of himself doing regular tasks like making breakfast, walking his dog, or pulling weeds. It was as if he were lonely and I was his first "friend". I honour the whole "King of the Hill" rule of selling something, and a higher offer came in from someone local who wanted it for their son to get to school, they offered $80 and picked it up that Friday. I felt bad about selling the bike to someone else. I notified the man that I had sold the bike to someone for a larger amount, I did not want to leave him hanging. He responded relatively quickly, about a minute or so, saying "Oh, it's no problem at all." That was that, at least I had thought so. Come Saturday, I'm home alone because my parents decided to take a couple's vacation to some dinky town in Pennsylvania giving me a free weekend in the house. I don't have siblings, and I don't have pets, so I'm used to the silence. Call me weird, but I used that Saturday to complete a great deal of yard-work. It's still late winter so it gets dark out by 5:00 PM. I was getting ready to take a nice, hot shower when a notification on my phone pops up-I have this surveillance doorbell called 'Ring' that has a motion camera and an accompanying app. It read, "There is someone at your front door." with a bell emoji to show that the doorbell has been pressed. I open the app and look through the camera to see a man standing on the porch. I had a double-take moment as I realized it was the man from Facebook who wanted my bike, and I knew I told him I sold it already. He began knocking, and I heard barking too, so I knew he brought his dog. I am able to speak through the app so I did, "Hey, sorry, don't you remember that I sold the bike already." His reaction was delayed as he then looked embarrassed and said "Oh, my bad, forgot." and walked off to his pickup parked at the curb. I was a little scared so I waited to hear the engine start, but I didn't.

I put my clothes back on and headed out front, only his pickup truck had pulled away and was nowhere to be seen. Relief washed over me, but then the garage floodlight behind my house turned on. There are a lot of trees since my neighbourhood is historic, so all sound is easily heard. I could hear footsteps on my back deck. In a great panic, I closed the door, locked it, and grabbed a kitchen knife. Whoever was back there was pounding on the glass sliding door which thankfully had a curtain. I yelled, "I'm calling the police, you are trespassing!" then he responded, that same man from earlier. "I just want to talk, I brought a few movies as well, come on friend." This was weird as shit, and I grew a pair and opened the curtain to see the man, standing there, he had a tool bag in hand, and from the looks of it, I doubt there were movies in there. Good thing for me, I know a state trooper who lives on the edge of my neighbourhood. I gave him a quick call and he showed up within four minutes. There wasn't much of a fight as he complied with the orders of the trooper, and I didn't want to press charges because I kind of felt bad for the man. When they searched the tool bag, they found varying instruments that would be suspicious in any given situation, such as knives, rope, and a tarp. I just wanted him off of my property and out of sight. Eventually, I did get the opportunity to get a restraining order and I did. I'm glad this ordeal is behind me.

Posted by u/OptimusZombiieee