Mom wasn't actually home

I just joined this page, so hopefully this is the correct place. I've wondered my whole life for an explanation to this one, as I am normally a skeptical person.

When I was about 9 I often would come home to an empty house. I was a mature and fairly smart kid so my parents felt comfortable with me being home alone for the short few hours before my mom would come home from work. We lived out in the country so it was always very quiet.

One day I came home like normal and did my "HONEY IM HOME!", thing as a joke since I knew nobody would be there. Except this time, I got a response from my mother in the basement. She said hello and that she would be up in a few minutes.

My dog at the time came running up to me and was whining and had her tail between her legs. I assumed she had gotten into the trash somewhere and knew she would be in trouble for it, but she still seemed slightly off. She had her normally floppy, front facing ears pulled back and looked more frighten than usual. But I dismissed it and went to make a sandwich.

My dog follows me to the kitchen and continues to whine and so I give her a little piece of meat and she takes it but continues to whine. I become bothered at this point and decided to ask Mom what is wrong with the dog.

When I reach the final step to the basement I noticed none of the lights were on, it's not completely dark, due to a window well, but there's a decent lack of visibility. I heard the familiar creak of the cold storage room door and watched it open. The door just opens to a pitch black room. My dog, who had followed me began growling. I immediately got the fuck out of the basement and ran back upstairs.

Not five minutes later the house phone rings and it's my mom. Normally I called her as soon as I got home and when I didn't she became worried. (I hadn't called her because I thought she was home.) That was the point I threw up because I was so terrified. I broke down and cried on the phone. My mom came home early and told me it was just my imagination and probably the air made the door open.

I don't know what really went down. But from then on I never slept in the basement, and never went down there alone.

Posted by u/Spyderfool