Coulrophobia (True Story)

Some people hate clowns because they are creepy, others because of the way movies or TV shows depict them. I hate them for none of those reasons in fact I used to like clowns, they where very entertaining until one day my view of them drastically changed. On a hot summer evening back in 1996 when my parents went to the grocery store leaving us in the company of my eldest brother who was working on his car in the backyard at the time. My other brother and I where playing in the front yard with a sling shot. Setting up soda cans and shooting at them was a lot of fun while being taught how to use it, we noticed a white van driving slowly and eventually passing us. Thinking nothing of it I aimed the sling shot and began trying to knock down the cans, my brother was making fun of me criticizing my stance and calling me loser since I couldn't hit a can, getting frustrated and throwing the sling shot on the ground telling him to knock a can down on the 1st try to which he replied "easy". Picking up a marble and pulling the sling back the white van was driving slowly again and came to a stop in front of my parents house. The windows where tinted so we could not make out who was in the van a distance until the window slowly rolled down. My brother lowering his sling shot looking freaked out seeing it was a man in a clown costume. The man said he was lost and needed to know how to get to the freeway, thinking back it was quite idiotic to think 2 kids would know how to get to the nearest highway if we didn't know how to drive but we both replied with no. The man with a smile on his face then looked down at me since I was the only one smiling back asking me if I wanted to see a quick magic trick to which I immediately said yes. He pulled his hands out through the window with a quarter on one of his palms and nothing was on the other, he then closed his hands flipping them over and said "Which hand do you think the quarter is in if you guess correctly I will give you a balloon animal". Excited I began walking closer to the van my brother quickly grabbed the back of my shirt telling me no to which I shoved his hand off of me. Pointing to a hand the clown turned that hand over opening it saying, "ohh so close but yet so far try again" walking closer to the man I pointed at the other hand this time knowing for sure the quarter was in that hand. While turning his hand over and opening it the quarter was not there either. Confused I told him where the quarter was to which he replied "You have it", telling him that I don't he said "I can prove it come here and I will show you". My brother pulled my shirt back again and told the clown "he doesn't have it" as I shoved my brother off again. Walking up to the window the clown said "Its behind your ear look" reaching down behind my ear he showed me the quarter. Amazed I turned around and told my brother "I had it the whole ti.." suddenly I felt the clowns hand grabbing my forearm in a tight grip pulling me towards the van to which I began screaming. The man would then break his clown character and angrily shout "shut the hell up" while pulling on my arm and shirt trying to get me through the window of the van. My brother immediately loaded his sling shot and fired a marble hitting the clown in the head, cussing and in pain the clown let my arm go but still had the back of my shirt. My eldest brother heard the commotion saw what was going on and ran to our aid. Upon seeing my eldest brother the clown immediately let go and stepped on the gas taking off with his tires screeching. Calling the police my brothers and I where questioned, once returning from the store my parents asked what was going on and police informed them I was nearly kidnapped by a man in a clown costume. After many sleepless nights and therapy that day seemed to just float away, what really haunted me was that the damn clown was never caught. Walking freely, most likely looking for another child as gullible as I was but surely wouldn't be as lucky.

Posted by u/MrMidnight6