Alone (Xiumin)

[ T A L I A ]

The old bell in the square below tolls hollowly, and you feel just as empty as the snow packed streets of Seoul are. Though the streets blare cheerful Christmas carols and sport garish wreaths of mistletoe, there is no one to admire the decorations, for they are deserted, save for the occasional straggler and mindless couple.

You look away, drawing your fluffy blanket closer to you and sighing into your pillow on the couch. There is little festivity in your own home; you had not expected to stay because you were going to visit your parents. But some roads were blocked from being snowed in, and the other main ones were crammed with traffic that crawled like snails in the wind. And so, with heavy disappointment, you rung them up and told them you couldn't be there.

Now there's nothing for you to do. The rooms are silent, except for that endlessly ticking clock and the faint noise of conversation and good cheer next door. Xiumin, your neighbour and member of the famous band EXO, probably is celebrating with the rest of his group judging from the regular whoops and bouts of laughter.

You decide to go to bed early, slipping into your comfortable bed and closing your eyes. But you can't fall asleep. First, as you always do, is counting sheep. Then you get bored and do chickens. Then pigs. Then the rest of the land animals you know. You're up to your 150th dugong (having run out of land and air species) when the volume of what you guess is the tv goes up and you know you'll never get to sleep like that. There's a loud round of laughter and then the familiar beginning of 21st Century Fox.

Groaning, you clamber off your bed, tiredly drape a thick fur coat around your shoulders and hop into your matching boots before heading to tell next door to quieten down. You rap your knuckles on the mahogany door to apartment 17 and shuffle around, trying to fend off the cold creeping into your pyjamas. The door opens and your cute, spiky-haired neighbour greets you in mild surprise.

"Hi Talia," Xiumin says, and a round of catcalls and light cheers come from the living room.

You ignore it. "Can you guys please turn down the movie a bit? I'm trying to sleep but I can hear you through the wall."

"It's 6pm on Christmas Day and you're going to bed already? Not meaning to intrude, but why so early?"

You sigh. "There's nothing for me to do. I was originally planning to go to my parents', but the roads were jammed and I cancelled. I didn't have anything else in mind, so I was just going to sleep."

"Why aren't you inviting her in, Xiumin?" Kai asks, coming into view with a devilish grin.

"Oh. Do you want to join us if you have nothing to do? Or are you sleepy?"

You wave your hand. "Nah, it's okay... I'll be intruding."

Kai ignores your declination and puts an arm around your shoulder, pulling you in. "You won't be. I'm sure Xiumin meant to invite you but was too shy too."

You blush. "What?"

"Shut up Kai," comes Xiumin's slightly embarrassed sounding admonition as he follows the two of you into the living room.

"Hi Talia!" the EXO members arranged on the sofa and floor chorus enthusiastically, all looking at you at the same time.

"Ah... How do you know my name?"

"We've heard lots about you from Xiumin. I think sometimes, too much."

You raise your eyebrows as Xiumin's face reddens in an inadvertent confirmation. "Ah... Okay?"

"And by your looks, it looked like he was so eager to invite you over, that he barged into your room and dragged you straight from your bed. I hope you weren't... doing anything."

Your eyes widen. "Do I look that bad?" you ask.

"Can you guys not be so crude? She came over and knocked on the door because we were being too loud guys. Aish," Xiumin says at the same time.

"Nahh... I think you look pretty good like that. I like the Hello Kitty print and I think Luhan does too," Kai says, winking saucily.

You huff and stick your tongue out at him as Tao drags you next to him on the couch.

"What are you guys watching?"

"Guess."

"Pirates of the Caribbean."

"You cheated," Tao accuses.

"I did not," you object.

"You did," Tao says adamantly.

"Did not."

"Did too!"

"Stop it guys," Xiumin reprimands and the two of you look at him sheepishly.

"Okay."

Kai, who is sitting on the other side of Tao, flips his feet up over both yours and Tao's laps. He winks at you as Tao complains and pushes his legs away.

"Just leave it, Tao."

"See," Kai says triumphantly, "Talia's so nice."

The movie starts and the 13 of you watch intently as Jack Sparrow sails heroically on his sinking ship... You laugh despite having watched this scene at least 10 times with your friends and a few others join in.

It goes on and sometimes throughout the movie, you catch Xiumin glance at you out of the corner of your eye. You sink down on the couch and lean your head on Tao's shoulder, feeling tired.

There's a sound of movement as Xiumin shifts uncomfortably on the other sofa, his lips pressed together in an unsatisfied expression.

You cover your mouth and yawn, eyes fluttering closed in your fatigue, sleep slowly pulling you down. And eventually you fall asleep.

Chen, on one side of Xiumin on the other couch, elbows his friend harshly and silently points to your sleeping figure.

Xiumin's eyebrows furrow and he shrugs. "So?" he whispers.

"Go carry her back to her apartment, or she'll have to share a room with Tao if she starts clinging to him."

The sentence makes the desired effect and Xiumin gets up, walking towards you as quietly as he can and trying not to disturb the others. He hooks an arm under your knees and lifts you effortlessly in bridal style, and you remain peacefully slumbering in his arms.

Chen nods and winks, holding his thumbs up.

He adjusts your position and leaves silently, being careful to considerately keep your coat wrapped tightly around you as he walks into the cool corridor. Unluckily, he forgets the fact that you probably locked the door when you came, and sighs softly before returning.

Chen raises his eyebrows at Xiumin when he comes back with you still in his arms.

"Door was locked," he mouthes. Inside, he feels suspiciously glad that he doesn't have to return you, but he doesn't really fancy you sleeping in the same room as any of the others.

You shift a little and you unconsciously fist his shirt in your hand, clutching to him.

Chen points to the room they share. "Let her sleep on your bed; it's big enough." He adds a teasing wink to the end of it.

Xiumin rolls his eyes and carries to his room, cautiously making the door close with as little noise as possible. He lays you down on his bed and tucks the sheets around you, but you persistently grasp at his shirt, not letting him leave. She's so cute when she sleeps.

He gently tries to remove your hand, but you frown in your sleep, making a small mewl of discontent. He's left with no choice but to slip in as well, and then as he pulls the blankets over the two of you, you extend your arms and pull him into an embrace.

Xiumin sighs. He's never going to get to sleep like this; not with the girl he's liked for ages clutching to him like he's her lifeline. He resists the urge to tense up and closes his eyes anyways.

And at last, he relaxes as he drifts into a deep sleep and hugs you back, his strong arms encircling your waist.