r

4/12 with Kai! 

"Welcome to Kai's Kai-tering," are the first words you hear as you get out of the taxi at the location your boyfriend texted you details for.

"Not to ruin your fantastic presentation, but it's pronounced kay-tering, not ky-tering. Do you hear the difference?"

"Having a language-proficient girlfriend means a lot more bullying, and no improvement," Kai mutters under his breath, before opening the picnic basket lid and revealing a galore of breads, spreads, other savoury delights, and fruit.

"You really outdid yourself. Fried chicken, japchae, kimbap."

"Mm you bet I did. It's a momentous day for us."

"It is? What did I forget?"

"It's our unniversary."

"Our what? No it isn't we celebrated that last month!"

"No, our un-anniversary, which is our unniversary."

"So it's like an un-birthday."

"Precisely. Also I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow for our concert."

"... Did you forget I'm coming?"

"Right." Kai rubs the back of his neck abashedly. "Let's just enjoy ourselves alright?"

"That, I can work with."

After some time of silently savouring a little sample of everything in the basket, you reach for another piece of kimbap. "Did you make this?"

"Chanyeol, actually."

You practically drop the roll. "Chanyeol? I didn't even know that kid could cook."

"Kyungsoo prepared all the ingredients. Chanyeol rolled them up. Hence the irregular shapes."

"Sehun didn't try to make anything right?" you ask cautiously, warily casting your mind back to when he proudly shoved a bowl of 라면땅 (ramen candy) in your face and coerced you into trying it out. You wouldn't touch anything Sehun made after that, and also refused ramen altogether.

"Oh boy he tried. But I think Suho had to lock him in their room to restrain them."

"He wanted to give us food-poisoning that badly?"

"Apparently he wanted to amend his efforts from last time with the candy. He wanted to take over Chanyeol's rolling station and probably sneak in a plate of his revised edition of 떡볶이 (ddeokbokki) which for your information made him cry in the process of cooking last week because he emptied half a tub of red chilli sauce into one serving."

"He's a sweet guy but you should never let him in the kitchen."

"Truer words were never said."

"So any reason for the picnic?"

"Wanted to enjoy some alone time with you. Hopefully the rest of them have better things to do with their lives than spy on us," Kai answers loudly, speaking the last part out pointedly. He looks around, but there's no reaction to his words.

"Maybe this time they actually knew better than to follow us."

"Amazing."

"You should have heard them in the dorm this morning- there was a huddle of them literally to the point of writing fanfiction about us in the middle of the kitchen. Honestly kind of disturbing."