Overworld Chapter 33 - Returning Down the Mountain

…and stepped into the tavern. The place was empty except for them. Link let Yore down on the bar before stepping out through the front door.

            The town was alive. Everyone was basking in the sunlight, cheering and dancing at the return of the bright light after months of darkness. Holes were appearing in the snow and staying there. It was something worth celebrating.

            Someone finally spotted Link standing there in the doorway of the tavern. “They’ve returned!”

            Daniel pushed his way through the crowd and up to Link. “You’re a hero, for sure.” The knight turned around. “A round for everyone! On the crown!”

            As the two walked into the inn with the rest of the crowd, Link asked, “Will that go over well?”

            “We’ve finally made peace with the mountain people and this storm is over at last,” Daniel answered. “I’m fairly certain the king won’t mind paying for a few mugs for these good men and women. Particularly for yourself.”

            Link returned to the bar with Yore as Daniel and Bruce talked about what had happened. Frostbar set his hand on Link’s shoulder, making Link start. Frostbar chuckled, saying, “Good luck, Link. You’ve done so much already. I know you won’t fail us.”

            “You’re leaving already?” Link asked.

            As Freya climbed back onto Frostbar’s shoulders, the yeti replied, “Yes, it’s time we get back home. Glenwood will need to work on rations to be sent to Frostbite. It will be a long winter, but not as terrible as it would have been, if not for you. Goddesses bless, young Hero.”

            With that, the two walked out of the inn. Freya waved at Link over Frostbar’s shoulder before they vanished from sight. Link waved back at the anouki before turned back to the bar. He asked, “You don’t have any potions in stock, do you?”

            “I might. What for? You, I hope not?” the bartender answered.

            “No, for my friend’s hawk here,” Link stated. “He…um…he…well…that dragon you saw…”

            The bartender raised an eyebrow. “You mean to say that big thing came from your feather friend here?” Link nodded. Yore puffed his chest, seeming to know they were talking about him. “Well, he can have the whole store if he needs it. One moment.” The bartender walked off. He came back with a bottle of red potion and a shallow dish. “Just shout if you need anything else.”

            Link poured the potion into the dish and set it aside for Yore. The hawk began working diligently on the potion as Link sat at the bar. The bartender brought him another mug of soup, which Link enjoyed as the dampness of his clothes wore off.

            Bruce sat down on the stool next to Link, facing out towards the crowd. He extended his mug out to Link, saying, “Here’s to another success.” Link smiled as he tapped mugs with the knight, before they both downed half their drinks.

            “Back to Eveningale then?” Link asked.

            “Yeah, I’ve got my project to finish there, and Rixa…” he paused, before quickly taking another sip from his mug to hide the red on his face. He pulled his head out, before asking, “And you and Endeavor will be heading out to not Eveningale, I presume. Where are you headed next?”

            Link answered, “I’m not sure exactly. Endeavor mentioned the Shadow Temple, and if I remember correctly, that’s where the twili live out in Midna’s Marsh and Grim’s Vale, or just Grimvale to the locals it seems. Though, neither of those names are terribly welcoming, to be honest.”