Overworld Chapter 55 - Among the Clouds

...and glided on through the clouds. Link leaned forward, bracing in the saddle as Shade began to climb up towards the island Zelda had pointed to. Even with the battle hanging on all three of them, the wind was refreshing. And the novelty of the view beneath them, Hyrule just sprawling in all its splendor, left Link feeling awed. Even the Great Deku Tree in all its massive glory was dwarfed from this angle.

When Shade landed, Link lingered on the Loftwing's back for a moment, still gazing across Hyrule. You could see everything from here. Even Eveningale, wrapped in its forest glade, was visible. Not easily, but Link knew that clearing even from miles in the air. After staring at the spot long enough, he swore he could make out the Academy.

This was what he was fighting for. The kingdom of Hyrule, in all its splendor and vastness. From across the horizon, Link could see the Dark Portal at the now conquered Fort Lanayru. The stone felt darker now, with a sort of magic pulsing from it, fighting to escape.

"Link."

He came to from his daydream, spying Zelda near the center of the island. She tilted her head. "You ok?"

Gesturing his hand out beside them, Link let out a sigh. "Just-- The view."

"It sure is something," Zelda replied as she gazed out across the sky for a moment. She returned her gaze in front of her, collecting her hands has magic began to form in the space between them. Link swung out of the saddle, landing on the soft grass with a thud that didn't seem to sound.

The magic in Zelda's palms seemed to suck the air in. Not like a vaccuum exactly, but like the world was parting where Zelda held her hands and something was slipping out from the other side. In exchange for bringing something from there though, it brought in the sound and the warmth from the world to its reality.

Then, with a flash of light, a bow replaced the gap in the worlds. It glimmered like a star, resplendent and pure. As this world eddied at its sides though, that glow dimmed. Zelda's expression twisted as she texted the drawstring. Link took a pace closer. "What's wrong?"

Zelda lifted her shoulders. "Nothing. I suppose...I dunno. This is the Bow of Light. It's to me as the Master Sword has been to you. But--" She stopped, shaking her head. "It's nothing." Weakly, she offered a smile, trying to let her cheerful tone leak back in.

Walking over to the princess, Link took Zelda's hands. "No one can smile like that all the time."

"I get to go on adventures with you and Endeavor and everyone else," Zelda answered. "Why shouldn't I smile? This is a first for my incarnations, I believe."

Link tightened his grip around Zelda's hands. "Zelda, I-- I let a darkness in my heart when I was in the Lost Woods. I let this whole thing chew at me, make me question what we're doing and whether it was worth it. Nazirah...Her death I put on my own hands."

Bowing her head, Zelda pressed her hands lightly on Link's. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry we don't ask you enough about the tolls of being the Hero. You've taken on so much."

Shaking his head, Link said, "Zelda, when I saw you, my heart was light." Zelda's eyes widened, her face turning red. "You make people happy, you reminded me why I'm doing this. That doesn't make the burden easier, but if I have to fight this evil for people to be able to smile like you do, then I will. But that doesn't mean, princess, that you need to always be smiling so others will. You're allow to feel worry too."

Again, the princess tightened her grip on Link's hands. She laughed, a sort of weak giggle. "You're very sweet." Zelda paused for a moment, weighing her next words. "I smile-- no. I smile because I want people to believe I have faith in myself. That you and I will conquer this evil. If they see me smiling, then maybe they'll believe I believe we will defeat this."