Overworld Chapter 14 - In the White Rapids

…after Faru. As the Twin Falls pushed him on down, Link quickly learned how to handle his boat. It was fortunate that this stretch of the water was clean and smooth, but Link remembered from his ride up that the waters would soon become tangled with rocks and rapids.

            Shortly after he thought that, Faru swam up beside his boat. She said, “Stay behind me. We have to go through a few rapids before we’ll coast and then climb down Earth Falls. That fall is too powerful for even these boats with riders in them.”

            She let go, and hurried back ahead of Link. Sure enough, as they came around the bend, the water began to rolled up over rocks and create white, foaming rapids. Link tightened his grip on his paddle as the current pulled at his boat, ready to react to the rough waters.

            Ahead of him, Faru navigated the waters perfectly. She found the best route for Link to follow, moving where the water was the smoothest.

            Despite these easier paths, Link still found it difficult to keep up with the zora. He was putting most of his attention into not capsizing himself as he raced through the rapids. It demanded almost all of his attention, and what he wasn't giving to the water, he was focusing on Faru as she swam ahead so he would know where to go.

            The current pulled even harder after a while. Faru began to swim towards the shore. Link looked ahead and saw the water as it tumbled over into Earth Falls. Not wanting to get pulled into that massive fall, Link hurried to shore behind Faru.

            Faru sat on the shore as Link pulled his boat up to shore. She asked, “You learned the basics yet?” Link nodded, though he wasn't quite certain he had. “Good,” she went on, smiling. “Because the next leg is the hardest.”

            Standing up, Faru pointed down the river as she continued, “Earth Falls creates the worst rapids, but after that its fairly smooth sailing. The water is fast and doesn’t really have any more than a few rapids until right before Hylia’s Fall at the entrance to Lake Hylia. But we’ll have to get out of the water for now.” She began to try to lift the front of the boat.

            Grabbing the boat closer to the middle, Link lifted the boat. It wasn’t heavy, but with Faru’s stature, Link had to do most of the carrying as they returned back down Earth Falls. There was a hollow noise as they went under the fall, and by the dark black stone that was underneath the rushing water.

            Link paused and looked at the rock wall. Faru dangled a little bit as Link didn’t continue down on the slope. She dropped and looked back. “What’s wrong with you? We’re not down yet.”

            “This rock…” Link muttered. “It’s…I don’t know how to describe it, but it’s…”

            Faru said, “They say it’s from the core of the earth. It has a dark feel, doesn’t it? I always hated this part of the trail. It’s too eerie for me. Can we please move on?”

            Yore flew in overhead. The hawk landed on the boat, tilting its head as it looked at Link.

            “This is an dark place, Link. Leave it.

            Link frowned, still curious about the dark rock. Faru was amazed by the talking hawk, leaving Link to look at the wall. The light was poor near the wall, so he started to pull his lantern out. As he lit it, Yore snatched at his hand.

            “LEAVE IT, Link!

            The force in Endeavor’s voice, more so than Yore's dive, caused Link to drop his lantern. Faru yelped in fright. Link bent down to lift his lantern back up.