Dungeon Chapter 28 - Mirror Hall

…into the Shadow Temple. Epona snorted and tossed her head. “I don’t like this.”

            In front of them stood a long hallway. It seemed to go straight back without any deviation. The black walls rose up, the twili markings on them glowing cyan beside them, but those markings far away from them had already turned red.

            Link said, “It looks like a hallway more than a dungeon.”

            “Protection doesn’t necessarily mean it needs to be a complex design,” Dominus replied. “Even so, this place is not as simple as it appears.”

            “How so?” Link inquired.

            “Look down,” Dominus answered. Link looked beneath them. The floor faded out for a moment, revealing a set of stairs. Dominus explained, “We will find the key that opens that door at the far end of this hall, but returning with it will not be simple.”

            Endeavor trotted ahead of them. She said, “These walls move.”

            “Indeed,” Dominus replied. “Once the key at the far end of this hall is removed, then the walls will move, and that guards will awaken, along with whatever the Demon Lord’s minions have hidden here.”

            “Guards?” Link asked. “What guards?”

            “You think a mere puzzle would stop thieves?” Dominus asked. “No, the Mirror Hall is designed to protect itself, and that means protecting what is beneath our feet. Though something has already gotten there, though I have no idea how. But for the way we're going, more procaution is needed.”

            Dominus asked his horse on, and the twili creature started trotting forward. Epona glanced back at Link. Link said, “I guess we have to listen to him.”

            Epona followed behind Dominus, looking back and forth at the walls. She would go faster when she felt uncomfortable about her surroundings. These were probably the parts that would end up moving. Link kept his sword out. He wished he had a longer reaching weapon or a ranged one. Then again, he wasn’t sure how much fighting he was going to be able to do on horse back once these walls came up. He figured he could switch to the Sage's Rod if he was in a tight spot, but he didn't want to spend too much magic in here.

            The building was actually very large. The roof was high enough to allow for a two, if not three stories. The corridor itself was at least a mile long, but the walls that would be appearing, Link wasn’t sure how long it would take them to get back.

            A few creatures came down the walls to attack them. Link bat the vermin away, having to reach quite a bit to hit them. He didn’t want to have to keep switching from horse back to on foot to fight though, so he held onto the reins and kept riding along through the passage.

            Finally, they reached the end of the hall. A wall raised behind them. Epona reared. “What's happening?”

            Link leaned forward, and tried to calm her. “It’s alright, it’s fine.”

            Epona snorted but settled down. Link looked around, trying to see if anything else was going to move.

            Ahead of him, Dominus swung off his horse. He walked up the last few steps to where a large orb was located on top of a dias. Link dropped down and followed the twili as Endeavor and Mirum stood guard behind them.