Overworld Chapter 46 - Gerudo Desert

…back into the heat of the desert sun. Endeavor was waiting outside with Parijan. As Link joined them, he asked, “Where’s Daniel?”

            “He went to collect the horses and his armor,” Endeavor answered.

            Parijan stated, “He shouldn’t. He’s going to roast alive in that metal death trap where we’re going.”

            “You’re probably right, but I feel better with having it on.” They turned as Daniel rode up on his bay warhorse with Quicksilver and Epona. One of the slender horses that the Gerudo raiders had walked on his other side. The slight mare was a pale grey with a darker mane and tail. Parijan heard the horses approach and tensed. Daniel let go of the reins of the smaller horse. “Don’t worry, I followed your instructions.”

            Released, the smaller mare walked over to Parijan. Parijan raised her hand, and the mare placed her nose in the woman’s palm. Parijan smiled for a moment, patting her horse on her side.

            Daniel went on, “That's a talented horse. I already knew about the intelligence of the desert horses, but that one in particularly is really smart.”

            Parijan stopped for a moment, before she commented, “Guide animals typically are brighter than the rest of their kin. Lanayru has been my companion for only a while now though. She has much to learn.”

            “That’s a hefty name,” Daniel said. Link climbed into his saddle. Epona was a little put out about Daniel’s complimenting of the smaller horse. Link attempted to calm the mare.

            Endeavor replied, “If you had not already noticed, but the Gerudo are not afraid to use such names. You have heard them speak the Demon Lord’s name openly, and so close to the entrance to his domain.”

            “It’s an important name for an important horse,” Parijan retorted. The mare stood stock still as the Gerudo pulled herself into the saddle. Link noticed that as she landed in the saddle, Parijan seemed much more comfortable than she had on foot. He wondered if it anything to do with her magic, or if it was simply the bond and confidence she had in the mare. He pat Epona on the side, still trying to calm his horse.

            Parijan demanded, “Are we going to move out or not? I’m not going to drag you back here if you get heat stroke.”

            With that, she turned her horse and headed out into the desert. Link just hoped Parijan knew where she was going. Daniel inquired as they rode on, “So what is this Common Camp? And who’s Narizah?”

            “The Common Camp is a meeting point for all the Gerudo Clans, and it’s neutral ground for anyone of the race,” Parijan stated. “Though entering with you surrenders my neutrality. Not that we weren’t already planning on destroying the place when we got there.

            “As for Narizah,” Parijan continued, “she’s the leader of Ganondorf’s clan. Or at least, she’s the leader when he’s not here. The Dragmire Clan has the highest influence on the Gerudo because it is where the only pure blood male Gerudo is born. Even the Gerudo of Sandsought, who have long since verged from the pure blooded life of the Gerudo Clans, respect the Dragmire’s power.”

            Daniel inquired, “So this Narizah woman has a lot of power over the roaming clans?”

            Parijan stopped. Lanayru blocked the others' paths. Quicksilver and Endeavor avoided the horse, but stopped as well. Parijan stated, “Narizah is Ganondorf’s sister. And Dabir and I’s mother.”