Overworld Chapter 22 - A Rockin' Celebration

…just in time for the speech to begin. Queen Justice was seated on a small platform, watching Endeavor as the woman joined her. Link almost sat down, when he caught a glance from Zelda. He pulled her chair back and waited for the Princess, before sitting down beside her.

            With the table seated, Queen Justice rose from her throne. Before she was fully standing, the Drex had gone silent. The Queen nodded her gratitude, before saying, “We are gathered here tonight to welcome our newest sister. Despite what fate would grant her, our dear one has not taken the life of luxury she has been offered. She, like our Goddess before us, has chosen to exile herself from others in order to obtain enlightenment.”

            Then was single word that went across the crowd. Link couldn’t quite make it out before the Queen continued, “It is custom that to obtain true knowledge, one must visit the Temple of Secrets twice, once to begin their journey, and once to end it. And with the blessing of the Goddess Reechka, our sister has been able to achieve this.”

            Again the word passed through the crowd. Link tried to catch it, but he got a look from Endeavor, who shook her head. Queen Justice noticed this glance, and turned to Link. She said, “I would like to extend my thanks to you, young Hero. Without you, her journey would have ended by now. For banishing evil from the Temple, you have allowed Endeavor this achievement.”

            The Queen glanced back at Endeavor with a slight grin, before taking a chalice from her throne and regaining her calm expression. She lifted it up for a toast. “Rise, for Endeavor Westwind, and the completion of her journey.”

            The Drex rose, each lifting their own glasses. Zelda took hers and rose. Link took the glass and looked into it as he stood up. It was filled with the deepest purple liquid Link had ever seen. It was obviously wine of some kind, but he wasn’t sure what could have made such a dark liquid.

            Queen Justice passed her glass to Endeavor, who stepped up to the front of the platform. The Queen said, “Here is to Endeavor.”

            The Drex raised their glasses for the toast. Endeavor took a sip from the chalice. Just as she rose her cup, a bolt shot through the sky and burnt the table. Sword embedded itself in the middle of the table. It was a long silver, shimmering blade.

            Several Drex dropped their glasses. Several more drew their blades. Endeavor lowered her drink and passed it back the Queen. Link loosened his grip on his sword as Endeavor walked towards it. Endeavor gripped the blade and drew it from the table. It was a long silver sword, embedded with purple gems.

            Endeavor grimaced as she examined the sword. She said loud enough for everyone to hear, “This was my mother’s blade. There is only one person who could have taken this. And only one person who could have given it back. The same man who tried to take my Triforce near twenty years ago...has sent us a message.”

            Drawing her own blade out, Endeavor replaced it with her mother’s. Queen Justice asked, “What would drive him to return it to you now?”

            “Because there is another blade that needs to be found for him,” Endeavor answered, looking at Link. She said, “I told you that we would not be staying long. I suggest we leave before anything else falls from the sky.”

            Link stood up as Endeavor walked away with Journey trailing her. As they headed towards the edge of the city, Zelda asked, “What about the party?”

            “Hyrule is going into shambles, and you want to continue with a party, Princess?” Endeavor asked, not looking back.

            Zelda frowned, replying, “No, but I would think you would want to finish. After all, it was so important to you back in the Temple.”

            “What was important has been completed,” Endeavor answered. “Everything else was a luxury we could not afford. We should have left hours ago. We have no idea where the Master Sword is still, and Hylia’s Temple is at least two days away. Who knows how long it will take to reach the Master Sword after that.”

            Out of the shadows, Umbra walked down the hill leading Quicksilver and Bliss. Stable trailed behind with Epona. The horse was resisting him every step the Drex took. Endeavor asked, “How did you know we would be coming?”

            “Settle down, Endeavor,” Umbra answered. “Don’t let them get to you yet. You know better than that." As Endeavor relaxed, Umbra said, "The Queen sent word a few minutes ago. Goddess’s speed to you and your quest.”

            Stable handed Epona’s reins off to Link as Umbra and Endeavor stepped aside. Stable said, “You ready for this? Finding the Master Sword?”

            Link replied, “I guess…I mean…I don’t know what to expect…”

            “I don’t know what to tell you about that,” Stable said with a laugh. “I mean, as far as legends go, that’s the one. Throughout all our histories, this is the thing that’s made it through. Finding it…I suppose Hylia is the only one who would know where the Hero’s sword was. She made it after all, for Her Hero. Then again, you're the Hero. Perhaps you already know where it is.”

            “If a Goddess wanted to protect it though, don’t you think it would be pretty well hidden?” Link asked, doubting that he had any idea where the Master Sword could be.

            “True, but now the Goddess wants you to find it. You should be able to tell where She would hide it for you since she wants you to find it,” Stable said. “A Goddess who granted you another life would know how you think, wouldn’t she? So where do you think it is?”

            “Link.”

            Link turned towards Endeavor. She had already mounted, as well as Zelda. Link mounted Epona as Stable said, “I’m sure you’ll figure it out.”

            Endeavor turned Quicksilver away, and started riding out to the mountain pass. Zelda rode on after the Drex, new confidence in her as she rode.

            Umbra stopped Link. She said, “If you ever want more practice, better practice for anything, get some way to protect yourself against the weather, and we’ll toughen the two of you up to ride through even the worst of it. You remember how to get into the pass, right?” Link nodded. “Then come back to visit, so long as you don’t bring anyone with you.”

            “Will the Drex be alright?” Link asked.

            Stable stated, “You restored the power of the Goddess’s Temple. She’ll be able to protect this valley for a while. And no one knows how to get in here.”

            “Besides,” Umbra added, “the Drex can handle themselves. What we need, what this country needs, is for you to be able to take down the Demon Lord. Find that Master Sword, Link, and end this. Once and for all. The Demon Lord cannot come back again.”

            “I won’t let him,” Link replied with conviction.

            “That’s a boy,” Stable said with a laugh.

            Umbra nodded. “You’ll make us proud, I’m sure. Good luck. Goddesses bless you in your journey.”

            With that, Link asked Epona on, and rode out of the City of the Drex…