Overworld Chapter 51 - In the Stone Face

...tearing forward on and on, sparks nearly trailing behind them. Epona slowed her pace as Bliss began to lag, though the mare didn't show it. Link could feel the change of pace but didn't comment.

As dawn began to rise, the lights of Sandsought twinkled to the south. Link was impressed that Bliss was keeping up this long, but he knew the horse was going to start lagging soon much more than she had been. They still had at least a half day's ride to go to get to this village, wherever it was.

Link extended his arm out to Zelda. "Don't push her."

Zelda started, clearly tired from riding through the night. She noticed Bliss's pace and nodded. Zelda whispered into the mare's ear, before taking Link's hand, jumping from her saddle to the back of Link's.

As Zelda wrapped her arms around Link, Epona snorted and redoubled her speed. Behind them, Bliss slowed, but continued to canter after them, even after they vanished over the horizon. Zelda clung tight to Link's back as Epona tore through the sand.

A rock face loomed ahead of them, casting a shadow over the desert near them. Zelda leaned forward, explaining, "Most of the Gerudo Tribes live in those cliffs, but we're headed above them to Tabanth. There's a pass near here."

"Will the Gerudo mind us riding through?"

"Probably."

Link snapped Epona's reins, searching the rock face for any sign of a slope. He didn't want to get in a fight with any of the Gerudo, not when he knew Parijan and Daniel were somewhere in this range, trying their best to rally the Gerudo to their cause.

Keeping Epona out of the shadows, Link and Zelda rode along the cliff faces, looking for any trail. Finally, after riding along for several hours, Link spotted a wooden walkway built into the side of the cliff face. Whether it was the official road or not, the path led up the rock face. Unfortunately, it was clear that from this angle, Epona would not be able to make the climb, particularly not with two riders.

Slowing Epona down to a trot, Link turned to Zelda. "Is there a main road nearby?"

Zelda shook her head. "Not particularly close to here, no."

Link pulled Epona to a halt. "Then we're running from here." He leaned forward to give Zelda space and keep from kicking her as he swung out of the saddle. As he landed on the ground, he extended his hand up to help her out, but the Princess had already swung her leg over and was sliding out on her own.

Landing with a bounce, Zelda smiled back at Link. "Ready?"

Dropping his hand back down to his side, Link nodded and started jogging towards the wooden ramp. He could hear Zelda behind him, taking each step in stride with his. The wooden planks bent and creaked under the weight of the two as they climb up the walkways cut into the stone and built over it.

As they summited the top of the cliff face, Zelda began brushing her dress off. Link heard her shiver, and looked back over his shoulder. "Cold?"

"A bit. But this isn't really a good outfit for cross country," Zelda answered. "Just glad I wasn't wearing heels. Could you imagine?"

Link shook his head, not particularly wanting to. That wasn't to say he wouldn't be impressed if Zelda had managed to ride and jog while wearing heels. He was certain if anyone could, it was the Princess.

A thought came to mind. Link pulled the Hero's Cloak free from his pack and extended his hand out to Zelda. "It doesn't have sleeves but at least until we get to this village, it may help. Just, don't pull the hood up."

Zelda's eyes widened for a moment, before she pulled the cloak out of his hand, her cheeks pink. Swinging the cloak over her shoulders, Zelda avoided making eye contact. "Thanks. That's better."