Dungeon Chapter 39 - One Last Wave

…and back across the bridge. The pirate groaned from where he lay as Link approached the door. Link gripped the handle, when the man sprung back up. Link shoved the man back a step. The pirate staggered for a moment, but Link slipped through the door before they had another chance to fight.

            The tunnel was empty, which made Link particularly nervous. It coiled back around the fort towards the second level. Link stopped at the edge a peered around the corner of the stone wall.

            The floor was empty. The tektites were gone, from all the ceilings. Link looked around, something definitely wasn’t right here. He inched out from his hiding place. His staff was still firmly in his hands as he walked out into the ring.

            This peace was unsettling. And whether you were from land or sea, it was always known as the calm before the storm.

            Finally, a sound pierced the room. It was a familiar shout. Link turned as Omar sprung from the Cage and up to the level he was on. The illusion of emptiness shattered. Link found himself mere inches from the tip of a stalfos’s sword. He caught the weapon with his staff, before beating the skeletal warrior back from him.

            With one sure push from the end of his staff, Link sent the solider tumbling over the side of the level, crashing into the ground below. The skull shattered, and the enemy was destroyed.

            His path cleared, Link raced to Omar’s aid. The burly man was fighting back two lizalfos, but the razor-wielding lizards were winning against the dark-skinned pirate. Link clobbered one of the monsters in the back of the head with his staff. The creature went tumbling forward, before turning around to face Link.

            But it wasn’t fast enough. Link was prepared for the creature, and knocked the monster square in the jaw with his staff, sending it staggering backwards.

            Omar grabbed the second monster by the neck and sent it back behind him into the lava. The fiend Link had just defeated went tumbling over the side with its companion. Link looked down at the lava. It had risen significantly. The platform of the Cage sunk beneath the surface of the hot liquid. Link asked, “What’s happening?”

            “The volcano is goin tuh erupt,” Omar answered as he caught his breath.

            “What!?” Endeavor exclaimed as the others caught up. “This volcano has been dorment for centuries.”

            Zelda inquired, “What’s going to happen to the temple?”

            “What’s going to happen to us?” Lynard inserted. “We have to get out of here.”

            Omar pointed down beneath them. “It’s already risen too high fur us tuh get tuh the docks. I sent muh men to escape. We have tuh get Capt’n out of here now.”

            Link pulled out the key to the massive golden lock hanging on the door next to them. Omar asked, “Where did yuh find that?”

            “Pardon the intrusion, but we needed to get this to open that door,” Lynard said.

            Endeavor added, “There is one thing you should know before we go in there.”

            “What might that be?” Omar demanded, eager to rescue the Fire Sage from the temple.

            “Zeal’s in there,” Link stated. “And she’s already almost defeated Sayyida last we saw her…Sayyida may even be dead by this point.”

            “Dead!” Omar shouted, yanking the key out of Link’s hand. “She’s not dyin before I am." He inserted the key into the lock. The massive symbol turned around, before dropping to the ground and letting the door roll open.

            Behind them, the lava began to rage. “The volcano is rising quickly now,” Endeavor observed. “There maybe some hope in calming it if we can rescue Sayyida.”

            “Then come on!” Omar exclaimed before racing into the room.

            Link turned to the volcano, and then to Endeavor. The Drex said, “We can not leave him too long, but I have a serious concern as to what this duel has really been for Zeal.”

            “What’s that?” Zelda inquired.

            “Of all the temples, this is the easiest for the Demon Lord to take control of,” Endeavor explained. “And with Zeal here, he may be attempting to steal Sayyida’s soul in order to test your skills, Link. You have fought his phantom in the past, but this is not his form. He will be resisted by the Sage, but if this is his plan, he will force her to fight you. We must force him out before he can take Sayyida. We already lack a Sage of Water due to his exploits, we cannot afford to lose this one as well.”

            Zelda said, “We could pray to Din, ask for Her Grace here.”

            Endeavor replied, “And do you believe the Goddess of Power would answer? This is Her champion. Dark as he may be, he shows the people what Din’s Strength is capable of. To assist us would show weakness in Her, and that is something She is not willing to do.”

            “Are the Goddesses not interested in the peace of Hyrule then?” Zelda demanded.

            “Whoever told you that?” Endeavor replied. With that, the Drex walked into the dark corridor.

            Zelda shook her head. “I-I-I- How can she speak such insult to the Goddess Din?”

            “Din banished her Goddess and her people,” Link reminded Zelda.

            Lynard said, “Besides, she’s right.” Zelda scowled at the man. “It’s true. The Golden Goddesses created the world, but it was only Their lesser gods who looked after it. Hylia is concerned for this world, and so is this goddess of Endeavor. While the Golden Goddesses would not see the world destroyed, They have no interest in its personal affairs.”

            “But this is Demise!” Zelda exclaimed. “Surely They must be concerned about him. He nearly killed Hylia.”

            The old man gestured to Link. “They are, and here is your proof of that. But how he gets there is up to us, and you will find no more help from Them beyond the gifts They've left behind already. They will present no divine interevention.”

            The Princess looked exhausted from the argument. She sighed, “It seems I cannot win this argument with you. I don’t agree with you, but we have more important things to worry about now. This volcano is going to burst at any moment now.”

            “There’s a good thought,” Lynard said, as the presence of the rising lava was reminded to him. “I’ll join the Drex.”

            Lynard joined the others down the dark tunnel. Zelda shook her head again, and said, “The more I venture with you, the more I find that this acceptance I want to share across my kingdom will be difficult for me. I truly believe in the need for it…but…”

            Link glanced back, before saying, “Your respect for the people will do more good than separating and outcasting ever did for this country. No one said it was going to be easy, but it’ll be worth it.”

            Zelda smiled. “You have the oddest burst of wisdom, Link. But they’re always exactly what someone needs to hear.” She smiled, saying, “Now, there’s a Sage we need to rescue.” She dove into the darkness. Link grinned at the compliment, before quickly following after her…