Overworld Chapter 44 - Lost One

...as she raced back onto firmer ground. Epona was happy to return to the grassy fields of Hyrule and away from the beaches of Port City. Link wondered if the mare realized they were about to return to the uneven surfaces of sand, but he didn't feel like ruining the horse's happiness for the moment.

            The two horses ate up the miles. Most horses wouldn't be able to stand the speeds Epona and Quicksilver were put at for such long distances, but whether due to their heritage or divine blessings, both horses managed such lengths easily.

            Link heard the train coming down the mountain as they neared Lon Lon Ranch. The horn echoed down through the foothills. Endeavor said, "Hopefully our knight will be aboard that train." She slowed Quicksilver as they reached the Lon Lon Ranch entrance. "Now, I believe we should rest for an hour or so. I need to fill a few water skins and the horses should rest before the last leg."

            "Are we already half way there?" Link asked, bringing Epona's gait down to a canter beside Endeavor.

            "More than half," Endeavor said. "Sandsought is much closer to the edge of the desert than Fort Lanayru. If we leave by midnight, we should reach the town shortly after dawn."

            "Evenin', folks."

            "Colette," Link said, smiling at the familiar face. He remembered the young woman fondly after his first visit to the ranch.

            Colette smiled in return. "What are y'all doin' here?"

            Endeavor said, "We need water and a few hours of rest. Proper beds for both of us, if that is not a problem."

            "After your last visit, I'd say that's fair enough," Colette replied. "How is she?"

            Epona tossed her head and snorted. Link patted the mare on the neck. "She's fantastic." Epona flipped her mane, confirming the statement.

            As Link bent over, Colette caught a glance of his sword. She said, "So you really are him?" Link looked up. "I mean, it was a rather large rumor after ya left, but Pa never told anyone if it was the truth or not."

            "I am certain that would start an even larger rumor that he is not interested in being spread if he had," Endeavor commented. "The rancher who threw the Hero into a corral with a untamable horse, and treated him like a lowly being with no right to step foot in a ranch like this."

            Colette paused. "Well...when ya put it that way, I suppose..."

            Link intervened, "We're not here to name names. We just need some rest. Saddle sore legs can make some people..." He chose his next words wisely, "...less than pleasant."

            "I suppose that's true," Colette answered, avoiding Endeavor's gaze. "This way then, and we'll get you rested for your adventures."

            The young woman led them up to the barn, where two farm hands appeared to take the horses. They immediately recognized the large chestnut and exchanged glances. Link swung out of his saddle, saying, "I'll take care of her."

            Both of the young men looked extremely relieved at the statement. Endeavor's horse, they remembered, was much easier to care for than the red mare. As Link went into the stable, he heard Colette and Endeavor speaking. Colette spoke up, "He's a country boy. You mention he grew up in Eveningale last time you were here."

            "Yes," Endeavor answered.

            "Most people from such humble beginnings usually would jump at having the favor of the King," Colette went on. "Would jump at the chance to claim everything the King has allowed him to have."