Dungeon Chapter 36 - Underground

…Lynard back into the hallway. Lynard hugged the wall, finally pulling off into a small alcove. They climbed a few steps before Lynard motioned for Link to stop. Link ducked behind the wall as Lynard continued up the path. He heard a thud, before Lynard came back around the corner and motioned them on.

            Link came up beside Lynard, keeping himself low. He heard Endeavor and Zelda coming in behind them. Lynard pointed down through the wooden floorboards, whispering, “That’s the door down into the chambers beneath the Cage. If we can get in there, we should be able to make our way to that lift and get up to the second level.”

            “How are we going to get by them?” Link asked.

            “Wait for the next patrol to pass by,” Lynard said, looking out across the rest of the temple. “Then make some kind of noise. We’ll drop down over the edge when they come up around here, and get through the door then.”

            Zelda inquired, “What exactly is this Cage?”

            Lynard pointed to the middle of the temple. A large platform could be seen rising and sinking the middle, steam rising around the edges. Lynard replied, “That’s the opening to the volcano, or what was the volcano. It’s lava beneath that. The Cage was designed to keep people in it, not that you would be going anywhere if you managed to get out.”

            Endeavor whispered, “We should get moving.” A patrol had just passed.

            Link put his ocarina to his lips, and played a few notes. The guards below looked around, trying to locate the sound. Link dropped down, hoping that they wouldn’t get spotted. Lynard leaned out a bit, waiting and watching. Finally, he jumped over the side. Link dropped down after him.

            Lynard pulled the door open just enough for them to slip through. He waved them on, keeping guard in the doorway before closing it behind them. They hurried around the bend just as the door opened behind them. A voice drifted down, “Did yuh here dat?”

            There was some inaudible argument before the door closed again. Then, a small sigh of relief from them. Lynard looked down the hallway. He said, “We should be getting close. Stay low.”

            Continuing to keep themselves bent over to stay out of sight, they went on down the hall. They came out in an underground harbor. Water reflected against the ceiling, a small waterway running through the middle. This may have been underground, but it had at least twenty ships docked in it. Link was expecting to see Lynard’s, but the small craft couldn’t be seen.

            Closest to there were a few pirates around a table, studying maps. They were of the rivers leading into Hyrule. Lynard pointed up to a door. “That’s where we’re headed. But we’re going to have to find something to take out those goons.”

            “I see a few things,” Endeavor noted. “That is Link’s shield leaning up there on that chart table, and I believe I see that sailor with the Goddess’s Reach.”

            “I’d try to get the shield first,” Lynard suggested. “I can distract them.”

            Link shook his head. “I’ve got it.”

            He picked up his ocarina, and moved away from the others. He played a few more notes. Once the pirates moved away from the table, Link pulled out the Sage’s Rod. A shadow fell over them, and Link ducked passed them. He grabbed his shield, glad to have the heavy object back.

            One of the pirates caught on, and came at Link from behind. He quickly turned around and slammed his shield against the man’s chest. The pirate stumbled back. Lynard stepped in and handled the second one as Link hit the first on the head with his shield.

            Endeavor moved on ahead, Zelda following closely. She had grabbed a club from one of the fallen men. Link followed quickly after the two ladies as they approached the larger group of pirates across the waterway. He targeted the one holding on to his staff. The pirate swung, only to hit Link’s shield. He grabbed the staff before it flew too far and swung the long wooden pole against the nearby attackers.

            The group of sailors tumbled back. A few escaped to their ships. Link looked over towards the door. A band of about ten pirates still stood guard around the entrance. Either they hadn’t noticed the commotion, or they didn’t feel like dealing with it at the moment.

            Link gripped his staff. He was glad to have a more physical weapon again, though he couldn’t wait to get his hands back on his Master Sword. Endeavor inquired, “Is there a lock on that door?”

            “They would melt most of the locks and keys down to make more weapons and cannon balls,” Lynard replied. “The only lock should be the one on Sayyida’s door. Besides, that one is gold, it wouldn’t do any good as a weapon that pirates would use.”

            “And it is also sacred,” Endeavor added, a little indignant.

            Lynard stated, “That means a whole lot less in this world.”

            “Can we take care of them and then worry about locks and keys?” Zelda asked.

            Link agreed with the idea. He hung his shield over his back, and took his staff in two hands. He ducked into the group, sending two pirates tumbling back with one wide swing of the long arm. He moved on to the next closest pirate as his companions started to attack behind him.

            Endeavor hit the last pirate on the head with the hilt of her blade. Zelda grumbled, “I can’t want to get my bow back.”

            “Why don’t you summon it?” Link asked, remembering Lynard’s earlier comment about it.

            “That bright object, here?” Endeavor inquired. “Link, I do not believe that that would be a wise idea, do you?”

            “Oh…I suppose not…” Link muttered.

            Lynard interrupted, “About this Omar character.” The three turned to the man. Lynard said, “From the looks of it, he’s a powerhouse. I don’t suppose I have to tell you to get any weapons away from him, do I?”

            Endeavor paused for a moment. Suddenly, Yore dove in from above and Journey came loping in beneath the hawk. Zelda asked, “Where have they been?”

            “Hiding,” Endeavor answered. “Though, I would think it better if Journey stayed on the boat, while Yore continued to scan the temple.” The two animals raced off to fulfill their master’s commands.

            Once they were gone, Lynard reminded them, “Do not try to kill this man, no matter what. Besides the morality of it, this is Sayyida’s first mate. Killing him would send her beyond any hope of helping us, and that is something we cannot afford.”

            “Easy enough,” Zelda said. Link could tell she was ready to get her bow back, and the club made her feel uncomfortable. She wasn’t very good at fighting with it to begin with. Link would much rather see her with her bow back as well.

            Link took a few steps ahead, eager to get this done with. He pushed the doors open and walked through…