Dungeon Chapter 8 - The Fire Goddess's Key

…on the floor below. Link was happy to be off the dangerous metal walkways. The burns on his fingers reflected that feeling. The swelling had gone down a good deal. Link could move his fingers around without much pain, but they would still need treating once they were out of the mines.

            Link put the small key into the lock as Groko and Endeavor caught up behind him. As the lock fell down, Endeavor said, “We need to find you a bottle once we leave this place.”

            “A bottle?” Link asked. “What for?”

            “Potions, water, fairies,” Endeavor replied. “They can carry things that can help restore your health in an otherwise unsavory place such as this. And such kind things are a blessing in these dark places of the world.”

            “There’s the hot springs down in Kakariko,” Groko said. “Before the monsters started coming out of the mines, gorons would go down all the time to visit it. I’m sure the owner would be grateful that you finally got us out of our mountain and give you a spare he has.”

            “We will have to test that once we return to that village,” Endeavor answered as the door rolled open. Link took a step inside, before he stopped. In the center of the room was a tall statue, with a roving eye at its top. Link took a few more steps towards it, before stopping again, a sense of concern and curiosity for the moving pillar.

 Link gripped his shield as a beam shot out at him. The bright blue laser hissed against the metal shield. With his shield still raised, Link took a few steps back, only to find his back against the wall. The statue bore its laser at Link’s shield, but it got no closer to harming Link no matter how long it tried.

            Desperate to get out of the line of fire, Link leapt to his right, and rolled out of the way. The beam blinked out, and the eye went back to searching the room as it lost sight of him. Link lowered his shield, taking a few steps to keep behind the eye’s sight.

            Endeavor opened the door. “Link, what is going-” Suddenly, Endeavor jumped out of the way as she saw the statue. “Groko! Why is there a beamos in your mines?!”

            Groko rolled in, unconcerned by the statue. He replied, “How would I know?! No one’s been this far into the mines in ages!”

            The Drex growled, but said nothing to the goron. She shouted, “Link! Blast it!”

            Confusion came across Link’s face. He asked, “What did I do?”

            Endeavor groaned again. “Not that…throw a bomb at it, you twit!”

            “Oh!” Link said, pulling out a bomb. He lit the fuse and rolled it out across the room. Then, he pulled his shield up as the explosive threw flames and smokes across the room.

            Link began to lower his shield, when there was a second explosion. A round red orb rolled across the floor, bouncing against Link’s shield as he lowered his shield for the second time once he was sure nothing else would implode on itself.

            Brushing dust off herself, Endeavor asked, “Do you have any common sense?”

            “To be fair,” Link replied, “that was a rather confusing demand.”

            Endeavor shook her head and crossed her arms. “We have work to do.”

            “Right…” Link muttered, returning to the room he was in. There was one other tunnel, blocked by a big metal gate. There were no mechanisms in the room with Link though. He walked up to the gate to get a better look of it.