Overworld Chapter 26 - An Old Friend

…as the sun began to sink again. Link leaned back in his saddle as they rode through, enjoying the cool afternoon breeze. The tips of the leaves were just starting to yellow. Fall was on its way.

            “Move!”

            Epona reared, and broadsided to the road. Link ducked as a rider jumped over him and Epona. Several more riders followed after, and Link ducked out of his saddle to avoid getting hit.

            The riders turned around and halted in front of Link. They were younger, training with the Academy no doubt. One of them leaned forward in his saddle. He scowled. “You’re the guy from the Hero’s Shrine.” Link didn’t recognize the boy, but it didn’t surprise him. It didn’t take long for cadets to lose the soft exterior they came in with. The cadet growled, “What do you think now? Think I’m still weak?”

            “I think you’re still full of yourself. And I never said you were weak,” Link answered, taking Epona’s reins and walking on.

            “You said a girl could beat me!” the cadet shouted after Link.

            “What’s wrong with a girl beating you?” Link answered, still walking away. “The Demon Lord’s head underling is a woman. Do you think you could beat her because she’s a woman?”

            The cadet slid out of his saddle. He walked up to Link. Link turned to face the cadet. Like most cadets, he was a tall man, and in considerable shape. He said, “You lost to a girl, didn’t you? That’s why you’re going to their defense, isn’t it?” He sneered, a cocky grin crossing his face. "You don't want to look weak."

            Link shook his head and sighed. He turned away, but the cadet grabbed him and brought him back. Link said, “I don’t want a fight.”

            “Because you know you’d lose?” the cadet sneered.

            “Because he’d rip your head off without even realizing it.”

            All eyes turned to the red headed knight as he walked up. Bruce said, “Are you idiots blind? I could see that purple hilt all the way from the Academy. Not to mention, that get up of his. Who else wears that?”

            The cadet let go of Link and took a step away from Link. “Knight Bruce.”

            Bruce walked up next to Link, and grinned towards his friend. “Boy, that has a nice ring to it.” He turned back to the cadets.  “Now, you’re going to say sorry to the Hero here, or you’re going to enjoy a nice sparring match with me in the arena.”

            Apologizes were spat out quickly, before the group went packing towards the Academy. Bruce shook his head, saying, “Was I that bad?”

            Link continued walked along as he answered, “Usually.”

            “You don’t hold back, do you?” Bruce said with a laugh. He looked at Link, then turned away faking a smile. “I suppose you’re right though…”

            “Yeah, but you recognize it,” Link said. “I don’t think they ever will.”

            “If I have anything to say about it, they will,” Bruce replied. “If they don’t get off Rixa’s case then I’ll-” Bruce blushed and turned away. “I’ll…forget I said it anything…” He looked up at the sky, trying to change the subject.