Dungeon Chapter 49 - What You Can't See

...back into the hall. It was quiet and still, like it always seemed to be in here. Likely due to the fact that air couldn't move freely in the building. As Link stepped out of the room, he pulled the manual back out of his belt. How it had survived intact through that fight he didn't want to question. All he wanted to know right now was how to finish restarting the greenhouse and deal with whatever was polluting the woods.

Link leaned against the wall across from the door. He put his hand up when his companions started to follow him out. "Just wait a moment. That shadow may be gone, but that may have woken something else up."

"Jumpy," Saruo sneered.

Ignoring her, Link flipped through the manual for where he had left off. "So we restarted the humidifier. What- Ah, here go. It looks like we need to restart the irrigation system. The pump for that is...behind the greenhouse?"

"In the nursery gardens!" Mismawn shouted from on top the seed pod. As everyone turned to him, the korok explained, "Behind the Greenhouse there was a big garden where all the sprouts would run around before going home. It was filled with flowers and sprinklers and a big pond with ducks."

"This was a full botanical garden, huh?" Link asked, looking between Wudhi and Saruo. It seemed like they would know, having lived so close to the Greenhouse when it was still in working condition.

Wudhi nodded. "It was filled with some of the most beautiful flowers in Hyrule. Probably not as big as the gardens at the Castle, but it was big enough for us. It's been such a long time since I was there."

Link walked back into the room where he had fought the shadow. He kept walking until he reached the back wall. "For some reason, I feel like going out the front door isn't the best idea to solve this." He paced the back wall, looking for some way out of the building. Part of the upper wall was crumbling away, too high to lift the seed pod through, but a large enough gap that Link thought he could slip through on his own.

Giving himself a short run and jump, Link pulled himself up the wall to the gap. He shielded his eyes for a moment as clear sunlight hit his face. After his eyes adjusted, Link swung down to the outside of the building. He hope that this would open a more reasonable passage back through the greenhouse once he restarted the irrigation system, but he doubted things would be that simple. They never seemed to be in these places.

Saruo blinked in beside Link as he landed on the far side of the wall. She hovered behind him as he scanned the garden. "I guess this is where all the monsters are."

Leering out of the garden beds were dozens and dozens of baba creatures. The carnivorous plants fought among themselves even as they snapped for sunlight in the ruins of a once tremendous garden.

"If one of those sees you, you're as good as dead. There are too many to fight off at once," Saruo stated. "Do want to burn them too?"

Link studied the meat-eating bed of plants. He didn't doubt he could burn his way through this tangled nightmare, but with the number of heads reeling beneath those sticking out, he wasn't sure what good burning these boko babas would be. Another layer of monsters would just come through as soon as he started the flame, and he would need to maintain the energy he could to navigate through the garden beds to the far side.

After a moment, Link became aware of a second sound. He looked up to follow the noise and saw a triad of leaves swirling around like a propeller. Suddenly, a sac of discolored fruit dropped from the twirling leaves. And as one of these appeared, Link began to note more and more of this grotesque creatures popping in and out of their leaf propellers.

"That's a lot of crap to fight through," Link murmured. Instead of reassessing the scene for a better way to fight through the garden, Link just pulled his hood back on. And like that, he felt any problems navigating the garden vanish.