Dungeon Chapter 43 - To Rescue A Sage

...and back to the corridor outside. He had hardly stepped outside when Epona came racing out of the stables. She nuzzled Link in the chest. Link pat the horse on her head, before looking up to say goodbye to Echo. But as he looked up, he just saw the far side of the bridge being empty.

"Where'd she go?" Link asked.

"This is what worries me about that woman," Endeavor stated. "Her powers are an anomaly here. There is no race with her abilities and there is no known studies of persons who have learned to do what she does."

"There are a lot of weird things in the world though," Daniel said. "You should see this guy who sells maps in Castle Town. Puts a cone on his head and dresses up in this bright green outfit and calls himself a fairy. Goes around shouting strange words at people and floated around with a balloon tied to his back. Weird guy...what was his name...?"

"An interesting story..." Endeavor replied.

Parijan whistled for Lanayru. "We need to get back to that other gate. We're so close to Dabir."

There was a sobbing noise, and a little ghost of a figure appeared. Link watched as Alex floated down beside Parijan. "I-I-I'm sorry. I just got so scared."

"There's nothing to worry about," Parijan soothed. "We took care of her though."

"I am confused though," Endeavor said. "If she was only the guard for the sacred item in this temple, then what will be guarding the room on the other side of the door at the top of the building?"

Link paused and looked up at the ceiling. Endeavor was right. They had been expecting Bahadur to be waiting for them beyond the locked door heading up to the roof of the prison. With her dead, what could they expect?

As that thought floated along in their minds, they crossed the bridge again. Nothing came out to attack them this time and their passage sunk back into silence. The silence lingered as they crossed back over the gap spanning the center of the prison to the main path through the prison. Link walked Epona up to the raised drawbridge and analyzed it for a moment. There was an empty wheel where the chain ought to be, though the bridge was locked upright.

"That's a smart design," Daniel commented. "Even if the prisoners try to steal the chains to drop the bridge, what they don't realize is that the bridge is set up to be upright instead, and that just locks them in."

"It still does not solve the problem with the bridge as it is now though," Endeavor stated.

Link pulled out the whip. He let it uncoil into its full length. It snapped a little, spooking Epona into half stepping away from the noise. Link raise the glowing weapon up, before twirling it around his head to gain momentum. He launched the whip forward, the edges snapping as it went. The whip found its mark, and curled around the empty wheel where the chain for the bridge ought to be. Link tapped Epona's sides and the horse began to back up. Link wrapped the whip around horn of his saddle, and slowly, but steadily, the bridge began to come down.

A definite thud echoed as the bridge fell into place. Link yanked on the whip a little harder, and it snapped back, curling up in his hand without him asking. Link hung the cord over the horn of his saddle, feeling like it would useful in the coming path.

They proceeded forward. There was no commotion as they rode. Soon they found themselves level to the training room. It stood alone, quietly, but less menacing than before. Nothing stopped them, and Link started to feel uncomfortable. They were only two levels away from the bottom of the prison. A chill clung to them from being so deep in the earth. Still nothing moved around them, and the silence became harder and harder to bear.