Dungeon Chapter 13 - Temple of Time

…into the Temple of Time. Massive marble pillars supported the grand hall that marked the entrance. The black and white tiling continued on throughout the room. A grand stairway opened in front of them, branching off half way up into two paths.

            Most of the pillars went all the way to the ceiling at the top of the room, which was three stories up. Link took a step forward, and asked, “Where are we?”

            “Relative to the world above,” Endeavor replied, “we are beneath the Castle. That hallway runs inside the bridge between the Castle and Castle Town.”

            “Why didn’t Ganondorf destroy the bridge then?” Zelda asked. Link was surprised at how willing she was to say that name. Though here, he found no disturbance from it being spoken. He wondered if his name had no power in this temple, but didn't wish to test that theory.

            Endeavor stated, “The bridge is protected not by the dragons alone, but also by magic. It would have been a pointless effort. Instead, he decided to block it off so that no one could enter. It has the same effect in the end, and we would have had to come back into the past to enter no matter what he had done.”

            Link looked across the room. He saw two taller, white Beamoses settled near the stairs. Link asked, “If we’re in the past, how are there monsters like those in here?”

            “They belong to the Goddesses.”

            Zelda and Link looked at Endeavor. Zelda inquired, “What?”

            Endeavor nodded. “Yes, the Goddesses have monsters as well, just as bent to kill you as one of Ganondorf’s. They do not leave their temples though, wherever they are sent. They are meant to test you, Link, when you come here, and anyone who accompanies you, or anyone who is foolish enough to try and enter these halls.”

            Link tightened his grip on his sword. This was a test set out for him by the Goddesses. They had chosen him to be Their Hero, and now he had to prove why They had made that choice.

            He launched a bomb at one of the Beamoses. Zelda’s bow twanged in his ear, and as his explosive went off, the other Beamos shattered from its head down. Link glanced at Zelda, who just smiled back at him. She said, “Come on!”

            Zelda raced forward, with Link following her, and Endeavor coming at a patient walk behind them. Zelda led them up to the second floor. She leaned over the railing, and scanned the room. Link followed her example, and looked for an open door. As Endeavor joined them, she said, “This temple is not very big. It has these two wings, and then Hylia lies beyond this wall.” She gestured to the wall behind them.

            “That does not mean it will be any easier than any temple we have gone through before,” Endeavor went on. “It simply means it is more condensed, and you will need to retrace your steps to fulfil the challenges that await you here.”

            “Which means going into either of these rooms will lead us closer to Hylia?” Zelda asked.

            “We will most likely need to go through both, in any order,” Endeavor said. “Hylia’s temple was crafted to match Her desire to bring balance the world. No doubt that some puzzles on one side may open things on the other side of the temple.”

            “Then let’s go left,” Zelda said, pointing towards the western side of the building. She added, “Seems as good a place to start.”