Overworld Chapter 53 - Over Stone

...as the two Rito warriors began their assault. It didn't take long until figures began appearing further down the valley. Link drew his shield, tilting it up as he watched both sides draw bows.

But the Ritos' bows were glowing.

Link grabbed Zelda's wrist and pulled her towards the side of the valley. He had a suspicion about what those arrows were tipped with and he wanted to be as far away from the water as he could be before they got close to hitting the ground.

The flying archers plummeted through the sky, sinking as their wings went to firing a steady set of arrows. Each alternated their shot with the other, not glancing once to check if the other was in synch. As they reached the bottom of the gorge, their wings snapped out and the Ritos shot back into the skies above.

Seconds later, the first barrage of arrows landed and confirmed Link's suspicion. The stream began to snap violently with electricity, sparks flying towards the oncoming Yiga. A few were forced to drop their weapons as they touched with the water, sending them jumping back twitching.

Zelda pulled her arm free of Link's and drew her rapier. "We need to push them towards the stream." She smiled at Link before rushing straight for the stream. Before Link could shout after her, she had already cleared the brook, unphased.

As Zelda rushed down the far bank, Link looked up towards the aerial attackers. They were preparing for another assault. Link rolled his sword in his hand. He needed to get into this fight.

The Yiga saw the two Hylians joining the fight a second too late. Zelda's stinging blade darted between targets, not landing heavy hits, but forcing a retreat. And Zelda pressed her advantage to herd them into the water. Link's heavy sword sent the Yiga falling back into each other as his strikes sent them reeling from two handed blows. It was only as he heard the hint of a whizzing arrow that he drew his shield again and jumped back. The Yiga, having been on the defensive, barely had time to react before the arrows met their marks.

Still more Yiga though came crawling out of the caves. Taka and Sagi swooped up once more, arching back over the top of the canyon as the Yiga loosed a series of quickly aimed shots. The arrows would have missed their mark regardless, as the princess and Link pressed the Yiga archers back further and further into the craigs.

Link was surprised by how quickly their offensive was pressing the clan. Something felt almost too easy about the assault. The Yiga had been a massive threat to the Rito warriors before, now they were breaking on the rocks. Even with the electrified stream pulsing with sparks, the battle shouldn't have been this one side it. Yet he could see the edge of the canyon approaching quickly, and no serious threat appearing to stop them.

Then he found out why.

Near the edge of the ravine, Link could make out a blurry white shape pinning one of the Yiga before a barrage of arrows followed from inside one of the caves. As the clansman stopped moving, the wolf turned its head back towards the cave before rushing towards Link.

Journey leapt on the Yiga in front of Link, taking them down in seconds. Link stepped away from the attacking canine, directing his attention to the remaining soldiers around him. As the wave thinned, he started searching the cave entrances for Journey's owner.

More Rito began leaving the caves, spears or bows in hand to cut back their captors. Link glanced towards Zelda, clearly holding her own. She paused for a breath and noticed Link's glance. He tilted his head towards the cave entrance where they had the Yiga pinned. Zelda's face beamed, likely coming to the same conclusion Link had: if those Rito were free, so was Endeavor.

Sagi dove down beside Link, hovering just above Link's head. "Grab on." He flexed one of his taloned legs. Sheathing his blade, Link grabbed onto the Rito's legs. In moments, Sagi had hoisted him up into the air, careening towards the end of the valley.