Dungeon Chapter 57 - Deadweight

...Link snapped the Roc's Feather, sending a gale up and launching to key to the grate bridges above it. The heavy object thunked as it hit the ledge over it, before bouncing shortly to a stop. Coiling the feather back up, Link took a step back to look around the platforms. "We need to finish this bridge first and then get the key down here."

"I think that storm is going to break through everything to stop us from being able to do that," Zelda replied, before pointing to a bridge. "That should be the bridge between the Wind and Rain Towers. We don't need to get over there, so we could probably just take out that portion of the bridge nearest to the Wind Tower. Bring it down here and then we can carry the key without any issues. Or without having to stop. I don't know what kind of monsters are going to show up."

Stretching his arm around Zelda's waist, Link nodded. "Good plan." As he held out the Roc's Feather, Link missed the pink tint on Zelda's checks as he carried them both back over the gap.

When the two Hylians walked back into the base of the tower, their Rito companions looked up. Taka inquired, "Did it work or do we have to go catch it before it hits the ground?" After Link nodded, the Rito pumped his wings in a flex. "Fantastic! Then we're nearly done. Just need to get it back down here"

Sagi shook his head. "None too soon. Goddesses know I'm done with this place."

The hawk faced Rito nudged his companion. "If one of us is the Sage, then we've got to live here."

"Then I would gladly relinquish the title," Sagi replied, not turning to face his companion as he said it. "Not unless we can renovate it and add get rid of the ridiculous magics around the building."

After Zelda briefly relayed her plan, the party climbed back up to the top side of the temple. Link lifted the key and they brought it into the Wind Tower before Link set it down again to go collect the last third of the bridge. He paused before heading to the door, stopping a few steps short as a knot formed in his stomach. "I don't like leaving that alone." He pointed back to the key as he scanned the room for something that might have been causing this anxiety.

"You're the only one who can lift it. I doubt those wizzrobes could, but we certainly can't move it," Sagi commented, unconcerned and very much ready to be done with the temple. "And what's the storm going to do get in here anyway?"

Link shook his head, repeating his discomfort, "I don't like it. Something feels wrong leaving it here."

"We can't all stay or you'll be exposed to those wizzrobes on your way down with the bridge," Taka said. "But sending only one person with you puts a lot of pressure on them to keep you safe, or leaving one person here to guard the key will have them in the same position, supposing there's anything to protect it from."

"I'll stay," Zelda stated as she stood over the key. "Taka and Sagi are faster than I am with the bow, they'll be able to keep monsters off your back better. I can produce a barrier around the key and myself until you get back. I don't think those little wizards will be able to break through my wards, not unless they start pulling much harder punches."

"Are you sure?" Link asked, with a worried expression. He didn't want to leave any of his companions alone here to guard the key, but he found himself more concerned about the thought of leaving Zelda here. Not because he didn't think she couldn't handle herself, he knew she could, but he just found his heart pounding a little longer when it came to the princess.

Zelda nodded, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Yeah, I'll be fine. I've broken through worse barriers when I had to get Impa and I out of the castle. Being able to cast a shield like this should be easy enough." She smiled brightly before starting to cup her palms together. A light began to form before her palms as Zelda tipped her head towards the door. "Don't let me stop you. We've got work to do."