Dungeon Chapter 7 - Getting Your Bearings

…about the close call he had just caused. Endeavor just shook her head at him, studying their surroundings instead. Link turned back to his surroundings as he heard a hiss. A red flare passed by, lighting up hundreds of speckled eggs along the walls.

            Endeavor looked up, and gestured for Link to follow her glance. She said, “There is another mine shaft above us, and I sense pressure beneath us.” She pointed around the room to tall stalagmites. She went on, “If we get enough of those to fall, we may be able to help the tension release and bring this floor up to that shaft.”

            “Make a lift up?” Link asked as he pulled his bomb bag back out.

            “That is the general idea,” Endeavor replied. “And it may destroy those nests in the process.”

            Link nodded as he lit the fuse on one of his bombs and set it down beside one of the stone pillars. He quickly retreated back into the center of room as the bomb exploded and rubble flew everywhere. A few pieces bounced off his shield as Link pulled another bomb to blast the next stone tower.

            There was a horrible cry as the pillar crashed into the wall. There were screams in agony through the gap as dodongos were caught beneath the huge stone or the debris that flew from the crash. It was grinding against the ears, and Link regretted his very sensitive ones as the sound echoed through the cavern. He quickly pulled another bomb out of his bag to try to end the creatures as soon as possible.

            While he planted the second bomb, Link asked, “How am I going to restock on these?”

            “In here?” Endeavor said. “The gorons would have stored some bombs for what they couldn’t punch through. I do not see what use it would be for Zeal to remove those, or that she would care enough to do so. Outside of this place…there are some stores that may have them among their wares. Or you could put the King’s permit to use and take them from the people.”

            “I’ll stick to the stores,” Link said, disliking the way Endeavor worded the statement, as the pillar crashed down into the wall. The floor began to crack, and steam poured up around them. He swiped his wrist guard against the side of the bomb, the fuse lighting. He rolled it over towards another pillar. There was a flash, and the stalagmite tumbled over into the wall, followed by another terrible screech.

            Steam began to stream out from the edge around the crack. Link rolled another bomb at the final pillar, before standing next to Endeavor, though not looking at her. Link still felt like she was mad about nearly being exploded.

            The pillar fell through the wall. There was the sound of shattering as the floor and the last of the dodongo eggs broke. The newly formed island was pushed up by the powerful amount of steam beneath it, launching Link and Endeavor back up to the main level of the mines.

            The shaft they had landed on returned Link and Endeavor to the tunnel they had entered from the core of the mines, only a floor above it. Before they could drop down, Groko came rolling along from deeper in the mine, most likely returning for his brothers trapped across the lava chasm. Endeavor called down, “Is all fair with the stone people?”

            Groko skid to a halt, and unrolled himself. He looked up at the twosome above him, and smiled. “You did it, brothers!”

            “The dodongo is vanquished,” Endeavor said. “And we have found a source of explosions.” Link showed Groko the bomb bag he had found.