Mini Dungeon 6 - Common Camp

…that surrounded the Common Camp. Due to the spell he cast, the area was darker and hard to see in. Sand blurred everything else, and chaffed his sides as it scrapped along his back and neck. He could see the outline of broken wagons and carts stationed around the edge. They served as cover against newcomers for the stationed Gerudo. Fortunately for them, the storm deterred anyone to put themselves out in open, even with the one side of protection the carts would provide.

            Epona whinnied nervously. “This seems like a trap.”

            “Agreed,” Link muttered. The lack of people in the camp concerned him. Surely there would be some sign of people in the waypoint for all of the Gerudo Clans. This felt like an ambush.

            Daniel brought Brass to a halt beside him, and Parijan’s horse followed suit. Parijan asked, “Why are we stopping?”

            “There’s no sign of life here,” Daniel answered.

            “Besides us,” Parijan stated.

            The knight sighed. “Of course besides us. I’m wondering where they’re ambushed is lined up.”

            “Oh, why don't you say it louder?" she returned. Daniel glared at the Gerudo. "Probably beneath the ridge around the camp. They’ll get the most shelter there,” Parijan answered less sarcasticly.

            “What ridge?” Daniel asked, scanning the horizon.

            Parijan pointed vaguely in a direction, before dropping her hand. “I don’t know where it is relative to us. What are you asking me that for? I came here before I was blind. I remember a ridge around the center of camp for reasons like this.”

            Epona snorted again, and turned her head towards deeper in the storm. Link followed the horse’s glance, wondering what the mare was sensing. Still, he saw no sign of life.

            Reluctantly, Link asked Epona on. The mare stepped forward, continuing to scan the surroundings. Link felt a little more confident knowing the horse was on the lookout. As a Hylian, his senses were better than most humans in Hyrule, but still the mare surpassed him in that aspect.

            Link kept an eye on Epona’s ears as they went on. She was very alert, her ears swiveling towards any out of place noise around them. Link tried to listen for some movement. He started to wish he had one of those twili shards Mirum had given him in Glenwood. That had helped his senses a lot. He would have to live without it now though.

            As they went further in, the battlements changed from wrecked carts to short walls and towers. With the storm as strong as it was, no one was in the towers, which was good for the approaching party.

            They reached the wall and came to another halt. Link pulled out his bow. He felt like the weapon would be useful. Then he considered that these were still Hylians, in their own right. He switched to his quarterstaff instead, not wishing to kill the women. They may have been misguided and cruel, but they were still human. Or, close enough to it that he’d rather not continue the senseless killing.

            Daniel noted the motion. He said, “You know they won’t hesitate to try killing us.”

            “I know, but that doesn’t mean we need to sink to that level,” Link replied.

            Parijan shifted in her saddle, reaching for her two scimitars hanging from her saddle. “While that may be noble for your people, the Gerudo would rather die in battle than be taken prisoner. They won’t appreciate your gesture of ‘compassion’ as such.”