Dungeon Chapter 16 - Something Lost

…until they reached the realization that the hourglass in this room was firmly planted on the ground. One of the chains hung across it and trailed onto the floor. There was no way of lifting it back up.

            Link looked for some other way across. Finally, he pulled out his clawshot and fired it at the remaining chain. The weak chain broke. Zelda asked, “What are you doing? Now there’s no way of getting that up.”

            “There was already no way of getting that back up,” Endeavor stated. “Though I would like to know as well what you have in mind.”

            Taking a running start, Link leapt across to the hanging chain. He swung it back and forth, trying to get some momentum. Finally, when he felt that he had enough speed built up, he let go. His feet planted firmly on the other side of the room after a short flight through the air. He turned back to the others.

            Zelda followed behind him. She stumbled a bit on her landing, but landed safely. Endeavor came after, landing without any trouble. Endeavor nodded briefly at Link, as if to compliment him for his idea. She said nothing though, and turned to study the runes above the door. Zelda whispered, “I thought it was pretty clever.”

            Endeavor began to trace six lines above the door. Zelda planted her hands on her hips, saying, “Endeavor, there are only five lines on a music sheet. Why do you keep drawing six?”

            Turning back, Endeavor asked, as though realizing her mistake for the first time, “And why did you not say something sooner?”

            “You told me Link needed to learn on his own,” Zelda retorted, crossing her arms. “So, what’s with the six lines?”

            Without removing the extra line in question, Endeavor said, “It is the Drex’s culture to have the sixth. After that fight, I suppose I forgot you were not Drex. Or simply that Hylians do not play with the sixth as well.”

            “Why do the Drex have six and not five?” Link inquired.

            “It is the way the Goddesses read Their music,” Endeavor stated. “And how They intended for Their music to be played. But I suppose there are many lost things in this world.” She stepped back before either of them could ask anything else. “Can you play this, Link? Or would you like me to reteach you the Hylian way?”

            Link repeated the notes on his ocarina. He was sure he’d have to learn the Hylian way later, but for now, the Drex way was just as good. Like with the last door, the runes faded and the door rolled open. On the other side was another pureblood Gohma. The lanky monster still had its head down and its other arms back. Before it could bring its blades up and show its ugly face, Link jumped at the creature with his sword.

            The door closed behind him, leaving him alone to face the creature. He tried briefly to see if there was a better weapon to fight it with, but his sword seemed to work best.  After a beating, the monster crumpled up and dropped its blades. Link drove his sword through its head, just to be certain that it was really dead.

            As the door opened behind him, Link turned to Endeavor. She lifted the two blades and placed them together. Endeavor said, “Here are the notes.”

            Link played the notes, and like before, the blades merged together through a blinding light. As the light faded, it revealed a key handle. Link pulled out the other part of the key and held it up.