Dungeon Chapter 41 - Into the Prison

...and back down the corridor. She led them rattling on down the path to a locked gate. Link put the key into the lock and the barred door swung open. Link hopped off a Epona and followed Alex into a guard room. He held his hand back on his hilt, waiting for some movement. Surely something would start showing up now.

A large map was spread out in the middle of the room. Endeavor joined Link and started studying the map. Link looked around the room as Endeavor enchanted the parchment to show chests, keys, and locked doors throughout the dungeon.

“I think this is where we will find the minion guarded the weapon located in this temple,” Endeavor said, pointing to a large training room some floors down. The dungeon dropped about eight floors deep into the earth. They were on the first basement. “Dabir is at the very bottom, but the great lock appears to be attached to the door up to the top floor. I think this idea to bring light back into the building is sounding more like what we need to do.”

There was an eerie cry from deeper in the building. Endeavor looked back. Parijan was standing in the door as the horses neighed nervously outside the room. Parijan said, “Poes are floating around beneath us. Though that cry sounded more like a ReDead.”

“Some poor guard who was driven mad by the spirits here,” Endeavor replied, rolling up the map. She handed it back to Link. “We need to get moving. I wish we had gone to the Temple of Light by now, it would be far more effective to use that magic now against these fiends. But, since we have not, the Fire Sage’s Medallion will be the most useful against these spirits.”

Link pulled the red medallion out of his bag and attached it to the Sage’s Rod as they walked back out to corridor. A thin band of flames erupted from the edges of the medallion, suspending it in the middle of the crook of the staff. Link slung the rod over his shoulder as they rode further down the passage.

Alex floated beside Parijan. The two were talking in hushed voices, but both were very alert about what was going on around them. Link kept a lookout. The quiet was disturbing to him. They reached the second basement without encountering anything: no monsters, no locked doors, no chests, puzzles, or traps. It was unnerved as the cries continued to echo up the pathways to find nothing but to be hearing so much.

Daniel shifted uncomfortably on Brass. The horse looked equally unsettled by the dungeon. Link dropped Epona back beside the knight. Parijan had their point covered. “Alright?”

“I’m a knight, not a ghost hunter,” Daniel said somewhat quietly. He eyed the space beside Parijan. Link knew Alex was there, but Daniel could only be guessing at the moment. “This place, it’s...honestly, I’d much rather bolt right now. This place is unnerving...I can fight things I can see, that’s what I was trained to do. But this dungeon, it’s...it’s filled with some kind of evil. There’s no face to put to it, and I think that scares me more than the ghosts. At least I'll be able to see them as poes.”

Endeavor shifted in her saddle and said back towards them, “The unknown is the most terrifying thing known to man, pardoning the paradox of the statement.”

“I’d agree to that,” Daniel replied, before adding rather quickly, “No-not that I’m afraid, just...it’s...just…”

“You have good reason to be afraid,” Endeavor answer calmly. “Most sane people would be. To be honest, I am afraid of the aura of this place and of what we might find in here.”

Daniel wasn’t the only one who was surprised by that comment. Link asked, “You’re afraid?”

“Yes,” Endeavor replied. “Me more than either of you. My divine task has always been to learn all there is about this world, all of its secrets so that I might aid the Hero. I know very little about this place and what lurks in it, and that terrifies me. But I will not let that hinder my mission to be a service to the Hero.”