Mini Boss 9 - Frozen Serpent Ophion

…and stepped into the greenhouse. The air hung around them. Plants were lined up on tables, weighed down by ice and snow. The windows had been frozen over, and there was very little light in the room.

            Something moved around the edge of the room. The door closed, a bolt latching it shut. Link pulled his sword out, looking around to find what was hiding in the room.

            Freya squealed a bit at the door locked behind them. Link glanced back at the noise, making sure she was alright. A shadow suddenly looked over him. Link turned back around and looked up. A huge serpent rose above him. The snake’s tongue slipped out from its pale blue lips, its dead eyes starring Link down.

            Link gripped his sword and the serpent barred its fangs at Link. Its scales rippled down its body, a diamond crossing along its back about halfway down its back.

            It dawned on Link that he didn’t know much about snakes. Ropes could often be found in the Lost Woods, but they never came near Eveningale, and Link hadn’t spent much time in the Lost Woods. He was a little uncertain about how to approach the creature.

            “Behind the head.

            He started to look up at Yore, but the serpent struck at him. Link leapt out of the way of the giant head. He came back to his feet and watched the snake coil around itself, searching for Link. Its dark eyes looked the room over, not seeing Link's companions yet.

            “Hit it behind its head! If you cut it anywhere else, it can restore itself. Hit it behind its head and it will not began able to heal itself.

            Link dodged as the snake struck again. While the snake went sailing passed him, Link drove his sword into the snake’s neck behind its head. The Master Sword ripped down through the scales, until it hit something. Link struggled to pull his sword back as the serpent pulled free, shedding a layer of ice scales.

            The beast left behind a long skin of ice where it had once been. Looking slightly darker, the snake snuck into the shadows of the room. How it vanished like that, with its size, Link didn’t know.

            Ice began to coat the floor. Link held his ground, trying not to move too much. Eventually, the monster reappeared, its huge head towering above them. Its tongue darted out as it looked between Link and his companions. Link saw a wound in the snake’s neck. He needed to get up close to that again, but he doubted the serpent would be so careless after Link's last series of attacks.

            After a moment of just watching them, the snake began to lean back to strike. Link looked around, moving around until he had the wall near to him. When the massive snake attacked again, its head would meet the wall. Or that was Link’s plan. The snake was too far away from Link for it to work, but at least the snake hadn't figured that out yet.

            Bruce caught on to the idea, and began to move towards the wall as the snake coiled back up. Link readjusted himself as the monster targeted Bruce. The snake struck out at Bruce, but it wasn’t close enough. Bruce rolled out of the way as the snake snapped, before the serpent brought its head back up and continued searching for a target.

            Again, the ice snake turned its head to Link. Link waited patiently for the attack to come. The snake lunged at him, moving faster than it had before. Link jumped out of the way just in time as the serpent hit its head against the wall. The room trembled a bit as Link charged the creature. He drove his sword into the serpent’s neck again.