Dungeon Chapter 24 - A Second Blaze

…into the room in front of them. Bruce shouted before Link had reached the bottom of the stairs, “Hey!”

            The person turned around to face them. It was young lady, with long brown hair. A bright cyan streak stood out in her hair as she turned around. Other than the bright coloring in her hair, there was nothing strange about her. Other than she was here. She had a warm, winter coat on, her hands buried into her pockets.

            “Hey,” she replied. She stopped and pointed at Link. “You’re the guy who opened the door for me, aren’t you? Didn’t get a good look at your face, but I suppose it would make since. Carrot-top here doesn't seem...hm...I do I put it?” She tapped her chin, deep in thought.

            “Who are you?” Link asked as Bruce growled.

            “Echo. Echo S. Ound,” she answered, coming back to the present. “And you’re the hero character they were talking about in Castle Town, aren’t you? Explains somethings. Including the company, and green tunic underneath. Not that I'll argue about layers up here.”

            Link paused for a moment. “Yes…I suppose…”

            “I mean, I should figure,” Echo went on. “That’s not an ordinary sword, is it? Nor is that bird you have there.”

            “What are you doing here?

            Echo looked up at Yore was the bird hovered over her head. She said, “Oh, so it talks. How interesting.” She smiled, before answering the question, “I’m researching for a novel. I figured I’d get the cold place out of the way before anything else. Goddesses, I hate the cold.” She dug her hands deeper into her pockets. “And I suppose you’re here to defeat that thing in the other room I can’t get to.”

            Link stopped again to think about her comment. “You got passed locked doors.”

            She shrugged. “Of course I can. If I couldn’t get passed the first room, then this wouldn’t be much of a place to visit. Though, there are still things out of my reach.”

            “Then how’d you get locked in that room back there?” Bruce asked.

            Echo’s face went red. “I was working on it.”

            “You need to get out of here,” Link said. “It’s not safe.”

            Crossing her arms, Echo asked, “For who? Your anouki friend doesn’t seem to be having any trouble. Neither do you, for that matter.”

            Link paused, not expecting her retort. Bruce added, “There are monsters in here.”

            Echo scoffed, “No kidding, carrot top!”

            Bruce didn’t respond. Echo sighed. “I shouldn’t be bitter. I suppose you did get me out of that room, after all. I suppose you’re looking to get some heat back into this place. I mean, considering that part of this place is warming up, that seems like your plan. Well, you are aware of the buglers, aren’t you?”

            When Link shook his head, Echo went on, “Didn’t think so. Well, you should be. As long as one of the ice monsters are present, the heat isn’t going to do you any good. And a bugler can make sure that ice creature remain present.”

            “How do you know this?

            “That’s part of the trade,” Echo answered. “Hope it helps.”