Dungeon Chapter 31 - Deep Pits

…and into the next room. There was a swarm of monsters waiting for them, though Dominus seemed to have handled a majority of them already. Link rode in weilding his staff, sending rows flying back with his staff.

            With the room mostly cleared, Link asked, “Where’s the pedestal?”

            Mirum pointed up. There was another series of moving platforms leading up to the top of the room. Twilit keeses flew around the rising surfaces. At the very top, there was a gated alcove. Mirum said, “There should be a lever or something around here somewhere. There! You can cross that gap with your staff, and I’ll take the orb up.”

            Endeavor came through the door. “The guards have entered the last room.”

            “We better get moving,” Link said. He dismounted Epona, and started to climb up the series of platforms. Mirum teleported up the levels, stopped at each platform to redirect herself. Link reached the top a few minutes after her. He walked along the thin ledge that Mirum had pointed to.

            There was a set of narrow stepping-stones spanning the distance. Link looked across the distance, judging how far is was across. He took a few steps back for a running start, before using his quarterstaff to vault himself over the gap. He rolled once he landed, then reached up and pulled the lever.

            Behind him, he heard the gate slid open. He also heard the guards come through the door beneath them. Mirum quickly set the orb down, opening up the next door. Dominus called, “Drop it down here, Mirum.”

            The twili let go of the orb. The guards began to turn around to follow Dominus. Link and Mirum leapt down the platforms. Link stopped and looked down the platforms at the guards. There was a hole in the back of the guard’s hand. Link looked at the tip of his staff, before dropping down on top of one of the guards. The hand began to look around, but Link dropped his staff down into the hole. He pulled the staff to the side, flipping the guard over.

            As Link rolled out of the way, the guard tumbled on its back. He pulled himself back into his saddle. The other guard turned around to help its companion back up, giving time for Link to catch up with the others in the next room.

            They stood on the edge of another deep pit. Endeavor asked, “How many pits are in this place?”

            Dominus handed the orb off to Mirum before tucking his hand back beneath his robe. He said, “There’s only one sure path across, and like everything else in this place, it needs that orb for us to be able to find it.”

            “We are not all going to be able cross this at once,” Endeavor said.

            Mirum replied, “Well, Link has that clawshot. Dominus and I can cross, and then you two. Your horses will fit next to each other.”

            Epona snorted and stamped a hoof. “What are you implying here?”

            “That you’re a big horse, and Quicksilver isn’t,” Mirum replied, trotting out onto the pit. Platforms began to form beneath the Zols’ feet as Mirum and Dominus rode out over the pit.

            Of course, nothing could be that simple. The path began to move, and Mirum and Dominus had to stay close together as they navigated the moving maze. Link started to pull his clawshot out to get ready for Mirum. He said, “Dominus sure is quick to get rid of that orb when he has it.”

            Endeavor tightened a strap on her saddle, muttering, “You are dense.”

            “What?” Link asked.