Overworld Chapter 21 - Rocky Ride

…and came back out in the City of the Drex. The Queen and Endeavor were walking away towards the Queen’s tent. Zelda was waiting for Link on the other side. He walked over to her. She asked, “What do you think a Drex celebration is like?”

            Link sheathed his sword, saying, “I’m not sure…”

            “Well, I suppose no one but the Drex know,” Zelda replied. “But maybe there’s something we can do to help with things.”

            The sound of thundering hooves echoed through the valley. Link and Zelda looked up as the Drex who had greeted them chased after Epona through the city. The fiery mare raced up to Link, before sliding to a hard stop in front of him. Stable’s horse slid to a stop, turning hard to try to not run into Epona. Stable got launched from his saddle, tumbling over himself.

            Zelda rushed over to the Drex’s side. Link took the two horses’ reins in his hand and walked over to the Drex as Zelda asked, “Are you alright?”

            “Heh, yeah,” Stable answered, standing up. “Happens all the time.”

            “Really?” Link asked, handing the reins back to Stable.

            “Well, no, but if it makes you feel better, I'll go with it. That’s quite the spirited horse you have there. I’d love to see that mare’s lineage. Hasn’t been a draft like that since the Time Split. You’re pretty lucky to have a horse like that,” Stable said.

            Epona nuzzled Link’s neck, obviously aware she was being complemented. Link rubbed the mare’s nose. Stable went on, “I suppose you won’t have to worry about anyone stealing her. Won’t let anyone near her. Trust me, I tried...” Epona whinnied, accepting the complement. Stable said, “If you ever want to train, my wife and I teach the Drex riders. More her than me, but I’m sure we could find some time to help prepare you two.”

            “We were trying to see if we could help with Endeavor’s ceremony,” Zelda said.

            “That’s all Drex stuff,” Stable replied, mounting. “Cultural, ceremonial set up. You’d spend more time having to learn the significance of it all than actually doing any work. It’ll take ‘em at least a day on their own, and you don’t have time to spare. The Queen may be smiling now, but it’s not been sunshine out here either. It’s been chaos.

            “The Sages’ Temples are being pillaged,” Stable contiued. “The Wild Gerudos haven’t let up on Fort Lanayru in days. There’s an everlasting blizzard of Frostbite Village. Port City is about to wage open war against Sir Dragmire’s warships. The post has been cut off, the Lost Woods is dying, and that’s just the beginning of it all. Dragmire is waging war against Hyrule, and right now we’re losing. But I'm sure you'll learn more about that later.”

            Zelda gasped. Link looked between Stable and Zelda. “Well…”

            “We can’t leave…but we have to,” Zelda said, her face covered in horror. This was her kingdom.

            Stable smiled and nodded. “I understand. Well, we’ve got about a day. Give me half that time, and I’ll have you set to ride through anything.”

            “What are you doing?”

            Another Drex walked up behind them. Her blacksmith’s apron was filthy, but it was still the brightest thing in her outfit. Her hair was pulled back in a bun. It was quite the contrast; her fixed, sharp upper half to the rugged craftsman’s outfit. “You aren’t trying to rip off the Hero, are you, Stable?”