Dungeon Chapter 9 - The Sunken City

…and into the Sunken City. He wondered why it was called the Sunken City, since it was built underwater. He would have to find out later though. His boots hit the floor, as the room he had entered was open air.

            Faru stood a few feet away, giving Link room to land. Yore was perched on top of the frame of the hallway that led further into the dungeon.

            As Link walked up, Faru began, “This temple was designed with three main engines that pump water to keep the city floating in the middle of the lake. The central engine also acts as the gate to Nayru’s Temple, but it will only work if the other two generators are functioning.”

            “Then we need to get these other two engines back on.

            “That’s the general idea,” Faru replied. “But the East Egg and West Egg engines are a bit…tangled…”

            “What do you mean?” Link asked, not sure how anything could grow this deep in the water, other than maybe some minor coral and seaweed.

            “She is talking about the pseudo dragon that has inhabited these waters.

            “There’s more than one type of pseudo dragon?” Link inquired.

            “There’s more than one type of dragon,” Faru replied, “so there has to be more than one kind of pseudo dragon. This one’s got its tails wrapped around the engines to keep them from turning on.”

            Link gulped, thinking about the size that dragon would be. Faru laughed. “Silly, its old tails. Aquatic dragons shed their tails, like snakes shed their skin and crabs lose their shells, so they can grow better ones, prettier and strong ones. It hasn’t got more than one tail now, but removing a dragon’s tail isn’t easy. So…that’s where you come in.”

            “You can defend yourself though, right?” Link asked, hesitantly. He knew the zora was a strong mage and that he'd mostly have to deal with the large monsters in here, but he wasn’t sure whether or not he’d be having to dedicate all his time to ensuring her safety.

            Faru nodded, saying, “I may be a master of magic, but Queen Rasida would never have let me come if I didn’t know how to defend myself. She trained me briefly in the zoras’ natural defenses when the Princess showed up. She said you would be coming shortly after that…and here we are.”

            Before Link could say anything else, Faru said, “Now come on! We’ve got to restore this place so you can visit Nayru’s Temple.” With that, she raced on down the hallway.

            Link drew his sword and followed after the zora. The city was made mostly of light gray marble, but seaweed had crawled up and covered most of the walls. Little bits of the wall had chipped away where coral had begun to grow. In that aspect, the temple was gorgeous.

            On the other hand, tektites roamed freely across the top of the water. Blue chus inched along the flooded portions of room. A few lizalfos patrolled the dry pathways, though if they saw Link, they didn’t bother with him. Link figured swimming wasn’t a priority for most monsters as much as attacking was. He would have to find out if the lizard men would float or not.

            Faru pointed off to Link’s right. She said, “That’s the way towards the East Egg. It was mostly housing on that side of the city, so it should be easier to get through.”

            “What was on the west side?” Link asked.

            “The shops mainly, but the forge was my only real concern,” Faru said. “It’s this massive room before the Egg itself, and it’s mostly open. Considering…I figured that there would probably be something large in there. That, and that door it locked.” Link looked over and saw the chain hanging over the door.