Overworld Chapter 11 - On Golden Shores

…as they left the ranch for Hyrule Field. Epona bounced a bit when Link asked her to change gaits, lurking Link in his saddle. As he caught up to Endeavor, he asked, “How are we going to get to Zora’s Domain? I heard it was completely removed from society, other than by the river.”

            “Then it is by the river we will travel,” Endeavor answered. “As I did when I came down from paying my respects to the zoras’ queen. It is a long way, even by horse, but it is the only way until the river itself is reclaimed.”

            “What’s wrong with the river?” Link asked.

            “You will see,” Endeavor said. “I am sure that it will not be that hard to miss once we go through Hylia Shores.” She was quiet for hours after that, and they rode in silence.

            Around noon, Endeavor brought them to a cliff. She pointed down. “There lies Lake Hylia, and along side it, Hylia Shores.”

            Link muttered, “Whoa…I never thought I’d see somewhere like this.”

            Endeavor replied, “You never thought you would leave Eveningale, or see Castle Town. Why is this suddenly a massive surprise to you?”

            “It’s where the nobles and knights vacation,” Link answered. “It’s filled to the brim with luxuries.”

            “It certainly is not right now,” Endeavor replied. “And it will not be for a long time, unless we get to Zora’s Domain soon.” She kicked Quicksilver back into a trot and began down the steep slope to Hylia Shores.

            Link asked as he got Epona to follow, “Can’t you just tell me what’s going on in Hylia?”

            Endeavor answered, “It is fortunate that I was heading here prior to having to find you, or I would be as lost as I had been when we were trying to reach the gorons.”

            “You were lost about the gorons?” Link asked. Epona whinnied, and tossed her head.

            “I am not a psychic, Link,” Endeavor retorted. “Nor have I said that I was.”

            Link leaned down to pat Epona, saying, “You were going to talk about Lake Hylia…”

            Endeavor sighed, but returned to her topic, “A few decades ago, the zoras tried to expand and build a city around the temple built for Nayru, their guardian goddess. It was built in the base of Lake Hylia, in the depths of waters. But dark things bred in the dark parts of the water.

            “Now, the zoras can see fine in the dark water, but so can creatures born there,” Endeavor went on. “Something big bred in those dark waters. The zoras had to abandon and seal off their city to prevent those creatures from spreading throughout the waters of Hyrule. Until recently, when things started sneaking out.”

            “What kind of things?” Link asked, looking over the edge as the lake glistened on the horizon.

            Endeavor said, “Tektites, blue chus, a few craniocs.”

            “Craniocs?” Link asked, unfamiliar with the name. “What are those?”

            “You will find out soon enough,” Endeavor replied.

            Link swallowed, not sure if he was ready to find out. He asked, “So…how far up the river had these things gotten?”

            “As far as Earth Falls,” Endeavor replied. “If they can climb that waterfall though, then there’s nothing stopping them from reaching Zora’s Domain. The Twin Falls are an easy climb from there, and that is the last defence for Zora's Domain. And that is where the princess was headed last.”