Boss 3 - Mock Dragon Azerian

• Dedicated to Ally Moseley

            …and into a large circular room. It seemed no different than the last two rooms that had held generators in them, save this one had no generator. Instead, there was a gaping hole in the ground, with water stirring beneath it. The water was calm and dark, and Link didn’t trust it.

            Faru walked over and leaned over the edge of the hole. She looked down, before turning back and saying, “Link! I can see the generator beneath us. It’s not even ten feet down.”

            Link came over to the side of the hole, and looked down. He could see the dark outline of the generator, seated firmly in the ground. Faru said, “We’ll have to push it out, and put it back into place ourselves.”

            Without another word, she dove into the water. Link pulled his sword out and followed her. He didn’t think this would end well, or they would get this generator back into place without meeting something.

            As they swam down towards it, Link noticed that the barrier extended beneath the city was well. Though they were back in the open of Lake Hylia, the barrier blocked off anything from the outside. And at the same time, kept them in. While they could have gone through the barrier at anytime, one the other side swam dozens of angry creatures, most of which Link didn’t think Faru or Endeavor could name.

            Yore dove in after them, seeming to have no trouble underwater still.

            “You are wrong, Link. I know what those are, but I dare not say their names aloud. If they are finding ways out of the Dark World, I only wonder what else is. Only Nayru can restore the protection in this area. Find Her temple, quickly, Link.

            Faru set a hand on the generator. It moved a bit, and she turned back to Link with a broad smile on her face. Suddenly, it faltered. Faru’s face paled, and her body began to shake.

            The water began to move, and Link swayed to keep himself upright. He turned around, and saw a massive yellow head hanging over him. It had a narrow muzzle, with two long, front fangs hanging out the front. Actually, the monster’s body was very thin, but incredibly long. Its length was almost that of a behemoth serpent, save it had short legs with webbed, clawed paws, and two long, spiraling horns extending from its head.

            Its brilliant yellow color lit up the area around them, become as bright as daylight, even there at the bottom of Lake Hylia. Coral and seaweed clung and grew from all sides of it, coiling and blossoming in all colors and patterns imaginable. If it weren’t for the size and terror of the creature, it would have actually been quite beautiful.

            The dragon opened its mouth and roared at them. Out of its throat came a guttural sound. It was speaking, though Link hadn’t the slightest about what it was saying.

            “It is ancient Hylian, Link. You have not the slightest how to understand it? Only Hylians can.

            “Can you understand it?” Link asked.

            “I…can…though the nature of my understanding is more learned than yours. Yours is by blood, mine is by study. If you cannot understand his words though, I can tell you. He says his name is Azerian, and he means to eat you.

            The dragon chuckled, a deep rumbling noise that shook the water and everything in it. It spoke again, its forked tongue coming through its teeth and adding a faint hiss to the dragon’s voice.

            “I will not repeat anymore. He speaks of terrible things now, things of which no one should hear.

            Link swallowed was the dragon’s grin widened. He understood one word out of the dragon’s next speech, and it was “fear.” Link tightened his grip on his sword. He was not afraid of this beast, and intended to tell it that.