Overworld Chapter 18 - The King & I

…and back into Castle Town. Unlike before, the fountain was open. No one came near it. Link looked around for Endeavor or Zelda. They were standing by the fountain, with a pair of castle guards keeping them from going anywhere.

            Zelda was arguing with the guards, though neither of the knights bothered to look back at her. Endeavor was standing quietly behind with her arms crossed. Link walked up, muttering, “Sorry...Hylia wanted to-”

            Endeavor did turn back to look at him, she just flatly replied, “We know what happened.”

            “Oh…” Link managed. “What’s happening out here?”

            “A pair, and now a trio, of armed persons have appeared in the middle of the capital of Hyrule in the middle of a war,” Endeavor stated. “What do you think is happening? We are waiting for an escort to the castle. For some reason, no one is taking our word of who we are.”

            “Well…that’s frustrating…” Link said.

            Endeavor looked at him and shook her head. “She did not frighten you, did She?”

            Link looked at Endeavor. The corner of her lip was turned up, and he realized this seemed humorous to her. He looked down. “No…”

            “Good, then focus,” Endeavor replied. “As of right now, and until otherwise stated, we are proclaimed as enemies of this country. I would suggest tact and following orders until we get an audience with the king.”

            Zelda shouted, gesturing at Link, “How many other people do you know who dresses like that? Come on!”

            “She seems put out,” Link said.

            Endeavor laughed, a grin crossing her face. “She has reason to be.”

            “Do you mean about this situation, or about…what happened back there?” Link asked.

            Before Endeavor could answer, a dozen or more guards showed up. One had an emblem similar to the one that Daniel had, and Link figured this knight was high ranking. It might have also been the fact that he was the only one with a sword on his hip. This knight stopped in front of them. He looked down at Link. “Where did you come from?”

            “Um…the Temple of Hylia…” Link replied.

            The knight sneered. “And I suppose you think you’re the Hero, don’t you?”

            Zelda shoved her way between Link and the knight. “He is, you idiot!”

            The sneer turned into fury. The knight backhanded Zelda across her face. Zelda slammed into Link. He gripped her as she rubbed her face. If he didn’t have Zelda so close to him, he would have attacked the knight, on the spot. Forget about tact.

            The knight growled, “Who do you think you are? You’re addressing a knight.”

            Her hand still pressed against her cheek, Zelda spat back at him, “And you’re addressing royalty. Why won’t any of you numbskulls believe me?”

            “You dare call yourself royalty?” the knight replied. “You must be begging for-”

            “Move! Move, you fools, get out of my way!”