Overworld Chapter 7 - Boulders and Soldiers

…but he soon found himself struggling through the morning rush. Shopkeepers were up early to open their businesses. A few soldiers tumbled out of the inn, staggering back towards the mountain. Cuccos crowed, and a few people wandered about, but otherwise it was peaceful once Link got through to the shopping district.

            Link headed for the herb gardens he had seen on his way in. A few people flagged him down, handing him huge baskets of herbs that he hardly managed. Some of those with their baskets ready were kind enough to point him on to the rest of the houses he needed to stop by.

            Some people had smaller baskets of herbs, and made very little conversation with Link, if any. Link had the feeling that they had been to see the medics that were in town, even though they were being paid by the shaman for their herbs. He said nothing though, not wanting to make poor relations with anyone in town. Two or three houses went out and shooed him off, leaving Link standing blankly at the door as they went on shouting in their houses about the hooligan on their porch.

            After about two hours, Link had finished and started taking the baskets back. He ducked behind a few shops to avoid the waking villagers on their way to work, or shop, or wherever they were planning to spend their day. A few kids nearly knocked him over, but a few children wasn't much of an obstacle after what he had been through already.

            As Link set the baskets down inside the shaman's house, he heard rattling metal. Link looked up at the shaman as she held up the shield he had seen the previous night. She said, “There is only one person who would know I’m doing poorly with the medics and about my apprentice being ill, and that’s my son. I went by his shop and asked him about what you were looking at. He said it was this, and that I could pick it up for you.”

            She set the metal shield in Link’s hands, and gave him a toothy smile. “Consider this your payment for the errands.”

            Link looked up, shaking his head. “I couldn’t. This is too much. It's not nearly enough for what you've done.”

            “He’s my son,” Heytha replied. “He lets me buy things for much cheaper than he have would you.” She chuckled. “Good luck. Your friend has been pacing outside for a half hour now. You best hurry before she hurts herself.”

            Quickly, Link unstrapped the wooden shield he had been using and stuffed it into his pouch. He slung the metal shield over in its place, adjusting himself as he waved goodbye, and hurried to meet Endeavor.

            Endeavor was perched on a branch hanging over the road. She dropped to the ground. “Finally.” She paused, studying the design for a moment. She added, mostly to herself, “I would seem your people are slightly aware of what has happened in their history.”

            Link looked back at his shield. “What?”

            “Not the time,” Endeavor replied. She said, “I have found us a way passed the guards. Quickly.” Endeavor began to jog up the path. Link followed, looking for Quicksilver.

            “Quicksilver and Journey are not suited for this trip,” Endeavor explained. “Even Quicksilver is not surefooted enough, and the heat is too much for Journey’s coat. They will wait for us here as the base of the mountain.”

            Yore hovered overhead, and Link was glad that at least one of Endeavor’s companions was coming along. Endeavor was easier to deal with that way.

            They reached the barricade at the top of the path. A guard woke up, gripping his spear, and commanded, “Halt.”

            The guard’s partner stood up with a yawn. “Don’t worry. It’s her again.”