Dungeon Chapter 52 - The Keep

...and glided into the small shelter that was the entrance to the Keep. As Shade landed, Link surveyed the interior of the building. The storm snapped through the windows, but also through gaping holes in the walls. Fortunately, there were only a few of those on this story.

Zelda asked, "Those weren't always there?"

"No. It seems the storm is renovating," Sagi answered.

"I'm afraid I can go no further," Shade turning his head to Link. "These halls are too narrow for me to fly through. I will be nearby if you need me. Or if you fall. Try not to though."

As Sagi and Taka paced the entrance, surveying the damage, Link set his hand on Zelda's shoulder. "We're going to have to walk."

She looked nervously at the ground, then back at Link. "Where there is a floor. This place seems to be falling apart at the seams." Zelda swung herself out of Shade's saddle before taking an uneasy pace through the room. After a moment, her shoulders relaxed.

Link swung out of the saddle as Taka and Sagi stopped pacing. Sagi gave the room one more once over, stating, "We know that this room is secure, but the structure of the Keep is collapsing."

"Hopefully the main armory is still intact," Taka added into his wing. The idea of weapons raining from the skies certainly made Link nervous. With the storm blocking the ground below, he had no idea where they would land if the Keep decided to bottom out.

"The Keep is in much worse condition than the last time we were here," Sagi went on. "It's difficult to say how much of the building is still sound. It shouldn't lose its enchantments though."

"So it should still be in the air?" Zelda asked. When both Rito nodded, she let out a little sigh. "Well, that's good. It may not be connected, but at least the floor isn't going to fall out on us completely. I mean, in a manner of speaking, but it won't just go crashing down to the surface."

"That's a small consolation," Link replied, nodding. "Do you know where the Light Medallion is? Or where it might have been stored? That will be the main target of Ganondorf's minions."

Both Rito exchanged a look before falling into thought. Taka rubbed his wing behind his head. "That's a good question, isn't it? Maybe in the armory?"

Sagi shook his head. "That doesn't seem right. There was no shrine in there."

"There doesn't have to be a shrine," Zelda replied. "It can just be a big open space. The whole temple is sacred, so anywhere would work as long as it would keep the medallion safe.."

Link nodded his agreement. "I don't think any of the temples I've been to had a real shrine, not like the ones to the Goddesses. An armory seems as good a place as any to hide something sacred though. Secured vaults keep weapons and relics in the same. What's been attacking the Keep like this though?"

"That storm," Taka answered, gesturing towards the entrance. "It's alive."

"Or something in it is alive," Sagi confirmed. "It's sent minions on us, but there's no doubt that it's the storm itself that's targeting the Keep. We're at the heart of the storm itself right now."

That was a target Link didn't know how to fight. How do you fight a storm? He would have said weather it until it passes, but this cloud seemed to be persistent. If the storm was alive though, it had to come from somewhere, or someone had to be conjuring it nearby.

"Is there anyway we could cause a disturbance in the storm?" Link muttered as he wandered in thought.

"What, like shoot at it?" Taka asked.