Overworld Chapter 23 - Quest For the Master Sword

…and on back out into the world he knew. They rode on throughout the night, reaching Hylia Shores by sunrise. The sunlight shone off the still waters of Lake Hylia as they rose past in the early hours of the morning. Just before they had left the city behind, Endeavor stopped them.

            Dismounting, Endeavor said, “We should plan before going any further. Attempting whatever trial waits for us will not be overcome without forethought.”

            “And food,” Zelda added.

            “You are going to return to the Castle after this, Princess, or have you forgotten your promise to your father?” Endeavor asked. "I think you can wait before indulging yourself."

            Zelda retorted, “I remember exactly what I told my father, but we still should eat. That party of yours hardly filled us up after going through the Temple. Yes, the Goddess restored our energy at the end, but feeling well and being full isn’t the same thing. There’s no substance to it, and it only lasts so long.”

            Endeavor paused as she dismounted, thinking about what Zelda had said. Link interjected, “As long as we’re not going anywhere, it doesn’t really hurt anything to have something to eat, does it?”

            “No, it does not,” Endeavor consented. “Since we are stopping, I suppose the Princess is right. Do you have something to eat then?”

            Link and Zelda exchanged a glance. Zelda murmured, “Well…”

            Endeavor sighed. “Very well. I will go find something. I suggest you start thinking about Master Sword, and where it is hidden.” She passed her reins to Link, then walked away.

            Zelda tied Bliss off, saying, “I almost wish I hadn’t said anything.”

            “Why?” Link asked.

            She rolled her eyes. “Nothing. Do you have any idea about this?”

            Link shook his head. Zelda sighed. “You’d think the Hero would know where is own sword is.”

            “I don’t think that’s how it works,” Link replied.

            “You’re right,” Zelda answered, sitting down. “I guess I’m just stressed. I’ve never done this before.”

            Link sat down beside her, trying not to state the obvious. Zelda must have caught on, saying, “I guess that isn’t much of a surprise…well, at least I’m trying. I mean, every time I think back to the legends, I can’t remember what I ever did you help you.”

            “I…I never thought about the legends that way…” Link said.

            “Your Triforce didn’t appear until you were older though,” Zelda asked. Link turned to look at the Princess. Zelda went on, “Endeavor told me. She said that your Triforce appeared the night after you two met. It’s different for you, I suppose. For you, you've been too busy to think about it too much since you found out. For Endeavor and I, we’ve always known. From the day we were born, we’ve had our Triforces telling us who we were going to be. And for...Dragmire, I think as well.”

            “That is not entirely true.”

            Endeavor loomed over them. She set a blanket down on the ground. As the cloth unfolded, she said, “Lord Dragmire didn’t gain his Triforce until he was grown. Or at least, it had not appeared on his hand. The Demon Lord always knew he would command great forces, and lead grand armies, but he did not know who he truly was until he was grown and leading his first raid.