Mini Boss 16 - Corrupted Children of the Woods

...at the abomination that hung overhead. It smiled back with many faces, but Link didn't feel like returning the gesture. The arms of the figure knotted together like a gnarled tree, but moved like a pit of snakes around each other.

Endeavor followed Link's gaze. "May I suggest fire?"

"Agreed."

With a wicked grin, the creature lunged at the two. Link pushed forward, rolling to dodge the attack. As he found his footing, he looked around the glade for Endeavor. The Drew was fine, drawing her sword and dagger as she prepared for the fight ahead.

Wuhdi launched a nut from his mouth, the hard seed pegging the monstrosity on one of its head. The individual head reeled from the hit, but the rest of the form just kept crawling forward on its horde of limbs. Slowly, the form turned towards Wudhi, its many, many eyes spying their attacker.

Link pulled the Sage's Rod free of his pack. The Fire Medallion hummed with embers as he held the staff up towards the monster. A blaze flew from the crook of the staff, searing through the wood skin and breaking the creature in two.

Kephe chirped in surprise, shuffling off away from the battle. As the kikwi tried to get away, Mismawn gripped Kephe's back, lifting them up a short distance into the air. Kephe trembled, peaking only briefly through his hands to look at the fight below.

As one of the halves of the monster approached Link, Kephe shouted down in a shrill voice, "M-Mr. Hero! There's something inside it!"

Rushing out of the way of the grasping limbs, Link looked over his shoulder towards the other half of the monster. Half exposed by the scorching blast Link had fired at it was a husk. It was thick, like the shell of a deku nut, but too large to be a simple seed.

"D-don't hurt it, Mr. Hero!" Kephe kept calling. "It's a-alive!"

There was a cry from the other side of the creature. Endeavor had driven her blade into the limbs of the monster. As she wrenched the blade out, Link watched the other half of the creature start crawling back towards the other. Hefting the Sage's Rod again, Link sent another fireball at the crawling arms unattached to the pod.

Most of the limbs took the blast and crumpled up into piles of ash. A few managed to return to their other half, covering up the seed that was inside once more.

"That seed must be important," Endeavor shouted, "Or Ganondorf would not be putting so much effort it keeping it safe."

Link tugged his bomb pouch out of his pack. As the monster turned slowly towards Link once more, he tossed the bag towards Endeavor. "Then let's get it free."

He barely at time to see Endeavor catch the bag before the monster lunged. It had lost weight, allowing it to move faster than before. Link pushed himself forward, sprinting to get away from the mass of hands. An explosion boomed behind him and the rapid rustling of the hands slowed. Link guessed Endeavor had bombed the monster from its far side.

Turning on his heel, Link raised the Sage's Rod up. A much smaller chunk of the monster had fallen off and was rushing for Endeavor. Link kept the Sage's Rod up as he rushed for the pod inside the remaining mass of the creature. He placed his free hand on the shell, feeling magic pulsing from within the seed. Something was definitely in there.

The pod slipped away. Link blinked, before coming to the realization that the larger half was moving, though that realization came a moment too late. The bulk of the pod came back around, hitting Link square in his side. Sent tumbled back, Link drove the butt of the Sage's Rod into the ground, pulling his roll to a halt. He fell on his back as the roll stopped, coughing for a moment as he processed what had just happened.