The Soldier Of Sins | ✓

By Iamnikki1

#30 in Werewolf [05-12-2017] #1 in Aftermath [30-01-2020] _______ What happens when a vigorous, loyal, raw so... More

Basic Information
Introduction
Prologue
[1] Notorious
[2] Brave
[3] Early Mourning
[4] Sweet or Savage
[5] Ignore the words
[6] Ignore the howls
[7] Becoming Wise
[8] Becoming a mess
[9] Remember
[10] Minds Playing
[11] The Full Moon Arrives
[12] The Sinner
[13] The Winner
[14] The Night Is Young-I
[15] The Night Is Young-II
[16] The Night Is Young-III
[17] The Night Is Young-IV
[18] The Night Is Cold-V
[19] The Night is Cruel-VI
[20] The Night Is Calm-VII
[21] Conflicts In Mind
[22] Theories Around
[23] One of The Three
[24] Father To Son
[25] Hunter In The Woods
[26] The Wolfish Soul
[27] Punish The Sinner
[28] The Beaten One
Rewind
[29] Sorting Out
[30] The Three Suspects
[31] The Rainy Day
[32] The Rainy Night-I
[33] The Rainy Night-II
[34] The Sinner Is Sinister
[35] On The Ground-I
[36] On The Ground-II
[37] Conspiracy
[38] The Books Don't Lie-I
[39] The Books don't lie-II
[40] Nightmare
[41] The Tale Needs To End-I
[42] The Tale Needs To End-II
[44] Pylas
[45] The Trap
[46] Risk
[47] The Risk-II
[48] The Risk-III
[49] Swear On Me
[50] Fearless-I
[51] Fearless-II
[52] Burn
[53] Curiosity
[54] Disappointing
[55] The Seventh Night-I
[56] The Seventh Night-II
[57] Criminal
[58] Sacrifice
[59] Expectations
[60] Home
[61] Winning The Aftermath
[62] Saint
[63] Ideal Soldier
[64] Well Wishers
[65] Lightening
[66] The Final Howls-I
[67] The First Howls
[68] The Final Howls-II
[69] The Final Howls-III
[70] The Final Howls-IV
[71] The Final Howls-V
[72] The End Of The Aftermath
EPILOGUE-I
EPILOGUE-II
Author's Note

[43] Beggar To Bigger

2K 205 43
By Iamnikki1

Opening the door, Samara stared at her mother, feeling restless to continue reading the book.

"Mother, I am only here in my bedroom. I am not digging a cave out of my room's floor to escape from this village. Why do you keep calling?" She asked desperately.

Violet stood up and hid the book beneath the mattress while lowering her eyes.

Her mother stared at her, giving her a blank look.

"Ida is here."

Violet looked straight at her while Samara felt shocked and confused.

"What?" Samara whispered absent-mindedly. "Why would she come here?"

Her mother shook her head, flaring her nostrils in anger. "If I say any word to her, that will be for her to leave. You ask her."

Samara sighed heavily while leaving the room. Her mother followed her immediately, stepping down the stairs.

Violet took that moment to put the book in the inner big pocket of her bluish cloak and left the room.

Ida stood quietly near the door and jumped up when Samara got down the stairs and gave her a hard look.

"What happened, Ida?" Samara gulped, remembering her brother would never want her to talk to Ida rudely, ever.

Ida lowered her eyes, breathing hard.

"I don't want to marry him, Samara."

Samara exchanged a glance with her mother while Violet frowned.

"Why don't you tell this to your father?" Samara's mother said, angrily.

Ida flinched at the high tone while shakily wiping the sweat from her face.

Violet moved her tongue inside her mouth while observing Ida's beautiful face. Her dirty blonde curls and Rosy cheeks were out of this town. She was wearing a fancy teak coloured cloak over her silky blue gown that had lace attached on the neck and waist.

"I did. But they are forcing upon me this marriage. Lord Commandant and my father has a great friendship. They don't want to disappoint each other," explained the girl, Samuel loved so much.

"My brother doesn't want you anymore, Ida." Samara said, slowly. Her heart shrinking at seeing the shock and pain in Ida's beautiful brown eyes. "He has moved on from the pain you gave him. I am sorry, Ida. We can't help you."

"No. Don't say that, please." Ida sobbed, staring at them. She brought her hands forward and intertwined her fingers, begging them. "I am afraid of Nathaniel. He goes every night to the forest with a lamb. He comes back empty-handed. He asks me to mate with him even before the marriage. Samara, please help me."

"Nathaniel is not that kind of a person," said Samara, unsurely.

Ida shook her head. "You don't know him. He is a frustrated man. His mind is not at peace. He pricks his nails in my skin whenever he holds my waist. He is a bipolar. In front of people, he acts like he is fine. But when he is alone, he is angry."

"Tell your father about this." Violet said while coming forward. "Why are you suffering so much for your father? My father must not be rich like yours but he would never let me suffer those things."

Ida sobbed heartily while lowering her face. She suddenly gasped and looked up at the three women.

"Samara, do you remember? I have told you that I doubt, Nathaniel is the beast."

Violet narrowed his eyes while Samara clenched her jaws.

"During our betrothal night, my father and Lord Commandant had drank wine together in our study room. While Nathaniel and our mothers were eating deserts, I had eavesdropped our father's secret conversation-"

"Is this a trap to get us arrested?" Samara's mother shouted angrily. "Because of you, my son has cried days and nights. You don't deserve him. Is this way to earn our sympathy and then backstab us?"

"No," Ida started stepping back as Samara's mother had started to walk towards her. "I am not lying. Nathaniel truly has been not right mentally. His father was telling my father how Nathaniel has accomplished what he had been planning for long. That the time to own this village has come."

Violet scrunched her nose while Samara came in between her mother and Ida.

"Leave my home. I don't want to see your face," screamed her mother while Ida got out of the house, giving a last glance at Samara. "My son has woman lined up for him. You are nowhere near what he deserves!"

"Mother, calm down!" Samara said while pushing her mother inside the house.

"What do you mean, they will rule this town?" Samara asked hurriedly.

Ida gave her a blank look, tears falling through her bloodshot eyes.

"I don't know, Samara. But I know, it is related to Nathaniel and something very bad. Tell this to Rodwin or Samuel. They must be knowing something about it."

Violet's lips parted at seeing her turning around and rushing towards the horse, tied to Hampton's wooden gate.

Ida climbed on it professionally while wiping her tears. She gave them a last look before her horse galloped away towards the street.

"Wench."

Violet choked on her breathe while Samara glared at her mother.

"Mother, enough! She is someone's daughter too. She is helpless. I will have to tell Samuel about her. They could easily get back." Samara said, while thinking hard.

"Don't you dare," yelled her mother while going towards the kitchen. "I don't want her in my home. Samuel has been trying to forget her. Do not scratch the wounds that have started to heal. Or I will not forgive you!"

Samara exchanged a frustrated glance with Violet.

"Well, your mother's fever has totally gone." Violet whispered, while walking towards the main door.

"Where are you going? We need to continue the story-"

"No. I have taken the book," Violet whispered, glancing at the kitchen. "While you go and tell Rodwin about this. Samuel is not the option."

"About what Ida told us?" Samara looked at her.

Violet stared at her in disbelief. "Didn't you get what she was trying to say? If you tell the exact words Lord Commandant told Ida's father to Rodwin, he might get some idea by either complaining about it to Prince. The Prince already likes him and will secretly investigate about what is the deal. With her words, it seemed like Lord Commandant has been planning something right under the King's nose."

Samara's mouth opened in confusion. "But why would Ida reveal this, betraying her father?"

"She said that she doesn't like Nathaniel. She might be rich and high class but she proves to be kind for what she did, just now. If Rodwin takes advantage of these lines, Nathaniel could be caught as the beast, red-handed. And if Nathaniel is burned down to death, there will be no one to stop Ida from becoming Samuel's wife. The girl loves him."

Samara breathed while moving her eyes slowly as Violet turned around and opened the door, glancing back at her.

"Go to his house and tell him everything. And don't let him even smell your fear for we are definitely going to the forest tonight." Violet said, before turning around and leaving.

Samara shook her head in horror, wishing that this upcoming night could skip like a blink.

_______

Rodwin caressed the neck of his horse, smiling tightly to himself. Samara was not a girl with loose character, he knew so well.

She was just too innocent and naive in terms of recognizing people's true nature. She believed in Nathaniel so much, loved him so much without even realizing how he was just passing his time.

Davis on the other hand, being his friend, knowing from their childhood that he himself was in love with Samara, dared to think he could earn her love. Davis should have known that she was already taken and had pushed away the idea of even betraying his own friend. Now, he was just a stranger, Rodwin told himself.

"Rodwin!"

He looked at the far right of the parking grounds, noticing Samara's father patting Samuel's horse. Breathing slowly, he walked towards them.

Standing far away from them, on the opposite side with his chariot, Nathaniel flared his nostrils while curling his fist tight.

Jeffery smiled while Samuel nodded at Rodwin. "Do you know anything about these two days trick?" asked Samuel.

Rodwin shook his head. "No. I myself am completely unaware of what they are planning. I don't even trust if the trap they would spread will catch the beast or innocent ones like us."

Lord Hampton squeezed his shoulder. "Do not worry, Rodwin. As long as we stay true and kind, nothing can go wrong. The Prince was clearly humiliating Nathaniel."

Logan nodded whole Jeffery shrugged his shoulders. "Now, this is not just catching the beast. This is about observing the inside politics going on in our army. Lord Commandant has never been partial before until the need to defend Nathaniel came."

Rodwin sniffed slowly. "I don't understand why Nathaniel was rebelling. This is not his nature. He likes to sugar coat and get popular. He was being genuine, today."

"The bastard has two souls," Samuel muttered through gritted teeth. "And that Davis, I will kill that excuse of a friend if he eyes my Samara a bit."

Rodwin looked at Samuel, and gave him a serious look. "You won't be needing to do that. She is for me to protect."

Lord Hampton smiled at him. "I want you all to stay careful these two days. No planning, no plotting like the full moon night. Whoever is the beast, needs to be caught. Stay at your homes and wait for the beast to show himself and get burned."

Logan and Jeffery nodded while Rodwin tilted his head. "The most important thing is not leave the home at the second night. That's when they will find the beast red-handed. You can be curious to catch him yourself but then, they can blame you even when you are innocent."

Samuel nodded. "Let's leave then. Rodwin, come home and have evening tea with us."

Rodwin smiled while shaking his head. "I have to do errands at home."

"Take care, pals." Lord Hampton said while getting on his horse. "We are waiting for you at the gates. We are going home together," he told Rodwin who smiled to himself.

Jeffery followed them on his horse while Logan walked along Rodwin as their horses were parked in the back.

They climbed on it together and started galloping towards the gates with astonished smile on their faces.

"Beggar becomes the bigger," commented Preston, boiling the blood in Nathaniel veins.

"Samara can't get betrothed to him," said Nathaniel, flaring his nostrils. "He has that excuse of a house, an almost dying father."

"But he has the post higher than all of us. Maybe, that's what attracted the Hampton," said Lori.

Nathaniel shook his head, narrowing his eyes. "We all do hard work and he gets the post."

Davis sneered, "Most importantly, Samara. He has always been after her since childhood. But Samara never loved him."

Nathaniel listened that carefully.

"Two days for the beast?" He asked.

Everyone nodded while Nathaniel smirked to himself.

"Let's wait and watch, who is it then."

______

The sound of galloping of horses echoed around the street of their colony, Samara peeked from the window while she was preparing the basket to go to Lord Lester's house.

"Mother!" She screamed excitedly. "Father and Samuel has returned!"

"I'll prepare the tea. Go open the doors for them!" She heard back from her mother.

Leaving the basket unprepared, she rushed out of the main door excitedly, thinking how if they had returned from the castle, everything was fine with today's discussion about the Beast and Samuel was not in danger.

She walked towards the wooden gate of theirs only to feel her breaths stopping at the sight of her handsome fiance in his beautiful uniform on the horse.

Samuel noticed his sister's eyes while getting off the horse. "He wouldn't listen to father's invitation for a mere tea. You try it. Maybe, he'll listen to you only." He smirked when she blushed.

Her father laughed while waving at Rodwin to come inside.

Samara gave Rodwin a look of request and longing when he looked straight at her. He gave her a small smile and chuckled when Samuel said, "We won't tease you, if you come inside at her requests."

Samara kept the gate open while even spreading the Hem of her skirt in a courtesy. Rodwin shook his head in amusement and entered the wooden gate on his horse. Getting off, he came inside while Samara shut the wooden gates.

The tea was prepared while Samuel and her father had already changed into household's clothes. Everyone sat at the dining table and discussions about the day at castle was going on.

"Something gives me a sign that Nathaniel and his father's relation has a creak coming up. He wasn't happy with his old man." Lord Hampton said while sipping the tea.

Samuel shrugged his shoulders. "The time of their fake superiority has gone. Now, their truths are coming out."

At this, Samara exchanged a serious glance with her mother.

"Actually," her mother started, "Ida came here, today."

Samara had managed to convince her mother about Ida's words to be shared with Samuel since he loved her so much. The mother, at last melted and agreed to cooperate.

Samuel stiffened while Rodwin lowered his eyes, feeling a little like an outsider.

Samara looked worriedly at her brother while continuing. "She was crying."

Samuel gulped, putting his tea on the table.

"She came here to tell us that she doesn't want to marry Nathaniel."

Rodwin's eyebrows raised as he looked up at Samara in confusion.

"She has been able to notice him keenly as their father's are friends and meets almost everyday. She said that Nathaniel has been behaving very sick to her. He is trying to dominate her and releases all his anger on her. Which is why, she has come to a conclusion that he could be the beast. She actually believed, he is."

Samuel's nostrils flared while Lord Hampton asked in surprise. "But how?"

"She gave me a truth."

"What truth? asked Rodwin.

Samara took a breathe while telling them. "On the night of their betrothal, Ida had eavesdropped their father's conversation. Lord Commandant was telling her father how Nathaniel has done the work he has been planning for so long. The time to rule this village has come."

"Rubbish," Lord Hampton commented.

Rodwin lowered his eyes on table, thinking hard while Samuel's fists were tightened in fury.

"She said that I must tell one of you about this. You must be knowing something about it. After all, what could be Nathaniel planning for?"

"Being the beast?" Samuel asked while looking up at them.

His mother blinked while shaking her head. "You tell me. You were there with him during the war. You are always there with him on the training. What can he do he has been planning for long?"

Lord Hampton rubbed his black beard. "That even something which could make his father proud?"

Rodwin narrowed his eyes. "Something is wrong with Nathaniel."

Samara wanted to scream a Yes, remembering the night of him washing his knife at the well.

"He is the beast." Samuel exclaimed while his eyes showing the longing for Ida. "That is what she wanted to say."

Rodwin was listening quietly. He looked up to witness how Samara smiled at her brother encouragingly. "If you both just make something out of this, keep an eye on Nathaniel, the beast can be caught. Then, you'll be proven innocent in her father's eyes, Samuel. You can marry her."

Samuel glanced at his father who told Samara. "It wasn't really about the innocence. He wishes his daughter to marry a high class man."

"But we will encourage Ida to rebel. She can answer her father, bravely. He can't force on her, everything." Samara said, while Samuel shook his head.

"I can't marry her beyond her father's wishes."

Rodwin took a long breathe and said, "I must leave," he said while slowly getting up.

Samara's mother went into the kitchen while her father nodded at Rodwin.

"I will see if I can find out about Lord Commandant's plans from his records. I have the access to them since I supervise all the things."

"You are right," said Lord Hampton. "But beware of that old man. He is not very clean in his heart."

Rodwin nodded while going towards the door. But before he could open the door, Samara's mother came from the kitchen and showed him the basket. She handed it to him saying, "Some pies for you and your father. There's a little bowl of curry too."

"It wasn't needed," he whispered, lowly.

Samara smiled shyly when her mother told him. "Of course, it is needed. Samara has made it. Get used to the taste. You are family, now."

Rodwin smiled at his soon-to-be mother-in-law. "Thank you."

He opened the door and was leaving when Samara's mother touched her back. "Go."

Samara rolled her eyes on the teachings and shook her head in humour. She followed Rodwin while closing the door after her.

Walking beside him, they stopped under the little shed that was a mini-stable for the horses.

The sun had started to set.

Rodwin sighed heavily while removing his cape from the shoulders and hanging it on the horse.

"You look exhausted. You didn't even take the tea. Didn't you like it?" She asked worriedly.

Rodwin gave her a sincere look. "I have just been feeling quite the heat in this uniform."

"You look good in it," she said, anyway, looking at him.

That made him smile through tiredness. "Just good?"

Samara moved closer to him, holding his hand and biting her lips absent-mindedly.

"Delicious."

He chuckled while she observed his greyish eyes. He pushed the stray hair from her bun, behind her ear, caressing her cheek.

"Get ready to have me all for yourself, then. We are getting married next week."

She hummed in humour when his face turned serious. "Within two days, the beast will be caught. The Prince had said it with such assurance, I believe in them."

Samara's smile faded.

"Then all of this will be done forever. These problems and we all can live in peace," he said, sighing.

"What are they going to do?"

Rodwin shook his head. "I don't know but it will be dangerous. Just don't leave your house at any cost these two nights," he said while squeezing her hand.

Samara gulped, remembering Violet's plan.

"I know what Violet and you have been doing with all those books. Curiosity is not worth your lives," he said while looking seriously. "Logan, I, Jeffery and Samuel, we have decided to not leave our homes. You both must follow my words."

Samara felt relief reaching her words as she herself didn't want to go in the forest tonight. But how would she inform Violet now, about the change of plans? Poor her would come here all the way to get her.

"Am I clear?" He asked while looking in her baby blue eyes.

Samara nodded while smiling at him, slowly. She backed away as he climbed on the horse and gave her one last look before galloping out of their verandah towards his home. She closed the bamboo gate while going inside her house, with a deep worry surfacing her mind.

Violet

_______

"What do you think?"

Please vote and comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

589 39 17
#2 New Moon Series _An enemy of an enemy is a friend_ I have yearned for a mate ever since I learnt of one. Thoughts about having someone who would l...
535 52 35
***Note: It's all fiction.*** A beast. A human. Both are destined to be soulmates. One thinks that it's unfair for a human to have to live with a bea...
10.9M 436K 61
Sequel to 'The Bite.' *You need to read 'The Bite' first before you read 'The Rise,' otherwise you're going to be very lost down this rabbit hol...
8.7M 351K 47
Highest rank - #1 in Vampire ** In a world far beyond human imagination, into the deep roots of the vampire realm he ruled. For over a century, he's...