Chapter 31: The Meet Up! Part 3

FIRST UPLOADED: DECEMBER 16, 2020 10:46 PM;  UPDATED AUGUST 1, 2021 5:38 PM

"Because at first, you said that Poseidon created the Half-Breeds to help the Mer-World. But now you just said that he created them to help us, humans. So you are contradicting yourself." 

Matt smiles at Nick and chuckles. "Perhaps it sounded like I was doing that." Matt sighs, a bit relieved from Nicholas' point. He looks at Nick and nods. "Poseidon spelled the bodies of water to save the Mer-World from going extinct. That is correct. But he also did it to help the humans." He nods back at Nick. "You see. As a Mer-Folk, you have increased healing and strength. And being a Half-Breed means you can go from sea to land and help out the humans when needed and help out any other Mer-Folk. Being a Half-Breed means that you can use your powers on land to heal humans when injured. You can also heal animals too. And like all types of Mer-Folk, we can sense others." 

Matt looks at Kylie. "I knew you were a mermaid the moment I met you." He says. Kylie stops breathing for a second. "How? And how do you even know now?" Kylie tells him. Finn looks at her and chuckles. "Ummm he just said that you were. And no one denied it, Kye. Sorry. But I think we all need to stick together. If one gets outed, we all get out." Brian nods in agreement. "I'd have to agree. As long as it's not in front of a large crowd or in front of someone who could possibly hurt us because in that case, we could have the advantage if an enemy didn't know the four of us were Mer-Folk." Brian says. Matt nods agreeing. His eyes widen. He points at Brian and smacks his hands together. "You just gave me an idea!" Matt exclaims. Brian jumps, startled. "I did?"

Matt bends down to the cave pool and pears out into the distance. "Okay. The Cloaking and Barrier Spell is still intact. I don't even see any fish coming through." He stands up and smirks at the group. Matt walks closer to them. "Grandfather Poseidon told me that Kleodora broke into his 'Cave of Wonders' before she fled. And she managed to look at his Crystal Ball and see who was a Half-Breed in this town. But she probably doesn't know that Finn has powers and that my sister is a Mermaid too." Matt laughs maniacally. Kylie cringes.

"If she looked through his Crystal Ball, then wouldn't she know?" Finn retorts, staring at Matt. Matt looks at Finn. Jakobe's mouth hangs open in shock at the news. "Great. Just when I thought I had a chance with someone normal." Jakobe says loudly. Matt shifts his eyes from Finn to Jakobe. "My sister is normal. Humans aren't normal. And you'd be lucky to be with her." He retorts back. Jakobe recoils back. "I didn't mean it like that. I meant to say someone easy to be around and not have to worry about anything dangerous happening." Jakobe says, trying to choose his words carefully. Matt looks at Jakobe and doesn't give him any more remarks. Instead, he just nods at him.

He looks back at Finn. "Yeah, she would know. But if she's on land, she's probably slowly desecrating and that means her mind isn't the sharpest and neither are her memories. So she is only focused on her goals for coming onto land. And she's never attacked my sister or you." He points at Finn. "So either she doesn't care about you guys or she doesn't know about you two." Kylie nods. "So they could be our ticket to get out of this mess?" Everyone, besides Kylie and her brother, looks at her confused. She tilts her head waiting for them to understand. But no one says anything for a few seconds. "What?" Kaylee speaks up."

Kylie looks at Kaylee and nods. "It's a phrase that basically means Finn and Lonnie are our secrets to winning this war?" She raises her shoulders trying to come up with the best translation to the phrase. They all nod and the sounds of 'oh' and 'ah-has' are repeated by the group. Matt looks at Kylie. "It's interesting how different phrases are in different countries," Matt says intrigued. Finn nods. "That's what I was thinking." Kylie nods. "Yup. It's crazy."

Kylie glances at Evie thinking she heard a sound come from her. She gasps as she's Evie staring off into the distance. Everyone looks at Evie and looks at Kylie and mutters small 'I don't know.' Kylie walks up to her sister and waves her hand in front of Evie's face. She doesn't get any reaction out of Evie. "Hey, Evie. Are you okay?" She asks worriedly. She then gently taps her shoulder and still nothing from Evie. Kylie looks into her eyes and doesn't see Evie's eyes move at all.