Chapter 1: Bon Voyage! Part 1

Originally Published: 2013-2014; Updated July 2017; November 2019; September 3,2021; September 25,2021 10:27 am; August 8 2023; August 25, 2023.

      In the chilly winter air of the outskirts of Clarksburg, West Virginia; Kevin Couture and his kids are packing for their long move to Australia. Kevin and his 11-year-old son are inside in the warmth packing the rest of what they need for a few months in Australia. His 16 year old daughter, Kylie is outside watching his truck in the January winter cold.

      While the wind is attempting to loosen her sandy blonde hair out of her braid, Kylie's mind is spinning in circles of how much her life is going to change. She smooths her hair down and adjusts her braid. Her phone beeps and she takes it out of her dress' pocket.

      She looks at her childhood home in front of her and mumbles. "I wish I didn't have to leave everything." She looks down at her iPhone. "Especially you Jacob. I wish you could say bye." Kylie starts texting her boyfriend. Her body shivers  from the cold. She looks down at her shimmery nude tights, thankful she has something protecting her legs from the harsh winds.

       A dark-haired woman nudges Kylie, distracting her from her consistent typing on her phone. "Darla!" Kylie exclaims putting her  iPhone into her pocket of her lacey pink dress. She pushes her black frame glasses up slightly to keep them from falling off and hugs the slender woman.

      "I'm so glad you were able to come. At least I get to say bye to you." Kylie leans up against the pickup truck looking disappointed, but somewhat relieved.

      Darla adjusts the zipper of her red leather jacket. "Me too. Jacob said he'll Face Chat you when he gets out of counseling. Kylie it's killing him not being able to say goodbye before you head to your grandparents." The attractive brunette tells the teen.

      Kylie plays with the end of her braid desperately wishing her boyfriend could be here. She understands his recovery is very important, but she's not having an easy time leaving everything behind. And being in his arms would help her anxiety. 

      Sometimes she wonders if he hides stuff from her. Times like today when he didn't even tell her when he'd be done. There have been a few other times, but maybe she's just being paranoid and overemotional. She is moving to the other side of the world after all. That has been messing with her emotions.

      She shakes the feeling off. "I just wish he could be here. I'm just happy he's sticking with the counseling and rehab. I'm really proud of him. And I'm glad he has a supportive cousin on his side while I'll be living in a different country." Kylie plays with a loose thread on her long bell sleeve.

      Darla smiles sweetly. "He needs me. His family is great, but they won't help much with his recovery. And I'm glad he has a girlfriend who is still standing by his side through everything." She says putting her arm on Kylie. Kylie shivers as a cold breeze flows through.

      She suddenly wishes she put a jacket over her dress. "I love him. I'd do anything for him." She looks around and swats away a stray strand of hair away from her face. "I wish my dad and brother would come out soon. It's cold out here." 

       Kylie's friend looks around the empty afternoon street. "Why are you out here by yourself? Especially after those break-ins last week?"

       Kylie pats the red truck. "To watch dads' baby. He's having trouble with the locks." Kylie says as she pats the red truck.

       Darla looks at her and nods. "Your dad should have stayed out here. It's his truck. And he could fight off someone if they tried anything." She motions toward Kylie's short and small frame. "You couldn't. Your too small."