CHAPTER 37: Kaylee! Part 5

FIRST UPLOADED: AUGUST 2, 2021 12:20 PM

After a few moments of crying and refusing that their daughter may be pregnant; Brianna speaks up. "I talked to Evie the other day at the Crab Shack." Kevin nods. Brianna sighs. "It was the first time I talked to her alone. I asked her about her role in making the costumes for the play and she wasn't acting excited or happy. She barely said anything. For a moment I swear I thought her eyes glowed purple." Brianna's voice sounding hoarse. 

Kevin looks at her worried. "That's odd. Are you sure that's what you saw?" Brianna nods. "As I said, I THINK I saw them turn purple. It happened so quickly, I couldn't be sure. And I was so tired from work that I'm not sure if I was seeing things correctly." She shrugs. 

Kevin looks around the living room. He looks at the stairs and sees Kaylee's head ducking quickly. He sighs. "I think Kaylee is listening again." He says as he leans closer to Brianna. Brianna looks toward the stairs. "Kaylee. Are you there?" She asks.

A grunt is heard from the stairs and Kaylee stands up and walks downstairs. She steps over the glass and frowns at it. She stops between the carpet and the Kitchen tile looking at her mom and Kevin. "Sorry for eavesdropping." She sighs. "And I'm even more sorry for breaking your dolphin figurine." Kaylee apologizes. "Thank you for apologizing." Brianna looks at her daughter, who is staring down at her feet. Kevin shrugs at Brianna. "I know that the diagnosis and all these changes have been difficult Kaylee. I'm sorry if it feels like I'm trying to change everything between you and your mom. I'm not Kaylee. And I don't want you to feel like you are being overlooked by being the middle child."

Kevin looks at Brianna and smiles. "Since I am currently turning my study upstairs into a bedroom; Kylie and Nicholas will be sharing Kylie's bedroom until I have yours finished. And you will be staying in Nicholas' bedroom." Brianna looks at him, her mouth hanging open. "You're changing your study into her bedroom? I thought she and Kylie were going to share Kylie's until you were going to add on?" Kevin shakes his head. "No." "There isn't a good place to add on. So I'm relocating my study to the den area downstairs that's off to the left when you walk in. And I'll be making my office into Kaylee's bedroom." 

"Most of Nicholas' stuff will be out of his room and in Kylie's; so Kaylee can have her stuff in the room." "Some of Kylie's stuff will be in the storage unit behind our house and the rest of the kid's stuff that won't fit in any of the rooms will go in the storage until the office is converted to Kaylee's room." Kevin finishes.

Kaylee looks at Kevin and smiles, fighting back tears. "Thank you, Kevin." Kevin nods and smiles at her again. "You don't have to do all that." Kevin look at Kaylee. "I do. You are also my daughter and you deserve a room of your own. And I don't want you to have to share it with anyone." He shrugs. "It's alright anyway because Kylie and Nicholas' rooms need a major repainting and re-carpeting." "I'll be re-painting and re-carpeting your room too. Within the price range, you can pick your carpet and paint. Or wallpaper if you'd rather have that." 

Kaylee walks into the living room and hugs Kevin. Kevin blinks in shock. Kaylee squeezes him hard before letting go. Before walking away, she looks at him and smiles. "I'm glad I'll have a dad again." Brianna watches her daughter walk up the stairs, her eyes wide in utter shock by Kaylee's recent uplifting mood.

Kevin looks at his fiance. "I think that went well." He smiles. Brianna shifts her gaze to Kevin and smiles in glee. "I think it did." She then looks down at her lap. Suddenly remembering what they were talking about before they noticed that Kaylee was eavesdropping. "I hate that we have 3 daughters to worry about." She says looking at Kevin. 

Kevin sighs remembering Evie's attitude the last time he saw her. "Come to think of it; Evie was acting a little strange the last time I saw her too." Brianna looks at him. "Maybe I wasn't seeing things then. But that wouldn't be possible." 

Kevin shrugs. "Since I've moved here, I don't know what's possible." He sighs. "I've experienced a bunch of odd things at work; and when I pick the kids up from school." Brianna laughs. "Seaside Sydney United is full of weird things that no one can explain." Kevin stares at her confused. Brianna shrugs. "Don't ask me." "I have no idea. All I know is that one of the previous principals mysteriously vanished and the next principal was said to be killed by a weird sea creature." Kevin blinks confused. "That's strange." Brianna nods. "That's Sooshanie."

A silent moment goes by, then Brianna looks at him and smiles. "Thank you for changing your office into Kaylee's bedroom?" Kevin smiles at her. "You're welcome. It's the least I could do. I basically have two offices, so it makes sense to make the den into my office and my office upstairs into her room." Brianna places her hand on top of his. "You still didn't have to." "She's my daughter too." Kevin smiles at Brianna.

Brianna sighs. "Yeah. That's why I think we need to spend more time with all the kids together. As a family. Maybe start family dinners again. Then hopefully as a family we will figure out what to do about all the changes." Kevin looks at Brianna and he reaches for her hand. "I think that's a splendid idea." He smiles. "Evie needs to be a part of it too. We both need to get to know her." He says. "And I was thinking that Kaylee is probably acting out because she doesn't know how to take the news about the move and her diagnosis, and the only way to feel like things are normal is to act out." Kevin says, hoping to relieve Brianna a little bit. Brianna shrugs. "I know we do. I wish I wouldn't have split them up." Brianna sighs sadden by her decision in the past.

"I'm hoping that's it. I've been worrying so much about the treatments and how she'll react to them. Everything about this has my nerves all out of whack." Brianna says, her anxiety suddenly coming back. Kevin shakes his head and sighs. "I know honey. It has had me scared and stressed too. I've heard Kylie crying in her bedroom a few nights and praying for Kaylee. I think she's scared too. So Nick is also probably scared." 

Brianna starts to sob, but Kevin squeezes her hand for a second and shakes his head. "Don't cry my sweet dear. We are all in this together and Kaylee is in God's hands. Put your faith in HIM and he'll provide you relief." Kevin assures her some calming advice. Brianna looks up from their hands and wipes her eyes. "You are the best. I have no idea what I'd do if we didn't find our way back to each other." She says smiling at him. 

Kevin flicks a tear off her cheek. "We'd still come back together. It'd just be a little later. That's what I believe." He says assuring her. She sighs and kisses him on his lips.