Chapter 7: Finally 16! Part 3

Originally Published: 2013-2014. Updated July 2017; November 2019; July 3, 2020; September 25, 2021; August 7, 2023; August 26, 2023. 

      "I don't think it's salvageable." A voice says behind her. She looks up and it's the boy from the concession stand. 

      "It can be." She shrugs. She picks the rest of it up and dusts it off. The boy smiles at her, combs his fingers through his long black hair, and winks at her.

      "If you accompany me to the stand, I can get you an entirely new kit free of charge." He flexes his biceps and winks at Kylie. "Wouldn't want your friend to bleed too much so we better hurry." He says holding out his large hand. 

  Finn scoffs.
"Boyfriend." Kylie corrects him.

      The annoying boy looks at Finn and smirks. "Not for long." He comments. Kylie rolls her eyes. She throws the gauze on the ground. The guy smiles triumphantly. 

      Kylie chuckles. "No. I'm staying here with MY BOYFRIEND and helping him myself." She says proudly, as she reaches down and tries to tear an underlayer from her shorts. The guy notices her struggling and he winks at her.

      "I could help with that." He smiles mischievously. She glares up at him. "No thanks, I got it." She says continuing. "I'm sure your boyfriend over there could help." He says sardonically. 

      "I'm barely a foot away, I can hear you and I believe she can do it. She's independent and strong."

     Kylie chuckles and stops fighting with the second layer of fabric. She grabs the Scissors out of the First Aid kit.

     The guy backs up. "Whoo whoo. I will stop flirting with you. You don't have to hurt me." Kylie sighs and ignores him. Facing Finn she rolls her eyes. And he shakes his head and mutters, "Idiot." While the guy is looking away.

    Kylie lifts her shorts up higher than she feels comfortable, but it's the only way to get enough fabric without cutting herself.

      "Oh my!" The guy exclaims.

      Kylie rolls her eyes at him with the fabric in her hand. "Seriously? Can you be any more of a pig?" 

      The guy shakes his head. "No. Your scar. No wonder why you have to wait on him hand and foot. I'm sorry he did that to you."

       Kylie looks down at her now-covered scar and back at him. She shakes her head quickly. "No!" "This was from an ex. Not him." She points to Finn; who is leaning forward in the chair shocked and worried.

       Her chest tightens suddenly. "I hate it when my past creeps back up on me. That's why I don't wear regular bathing suits or anything above my knees." She says still looking at Finn, trying to hold it together.

       She looks back at the guy. His expression changes. "I'm sorry. That must have been awful." Kylie shakes her head. "It was." "He saved me from my ex." She says looking at Finn, hoping this guy will buy everything she's making up. Well, not EVERYTHING is made up. 

      "I will get out of your hair then. Sorry to have bothered you both. Have a lovely day." Kylie and Finn smile. "Thanks. And sorry for being rude." "You have a great day too." He nods and leaves.