Chapter 30: Matt's News! Part 4

First Uploaded: March 2014 Dates updated: January or February 2018; November 7, 2019; Dec. 4, 2020, 1 PM)

            Everyone jumps startled. Finn grabs his ear again. "OUCH!" Kylie looks at Finn. "Sorry." She apologizes. "What's happening?" Kaylee looks at Matt, Finn, and Kylie confused. Evie's eyes open wide in shock. "I think Matt has feelings for Kylie." Evie answers Kaylee, her voice raspy. Jakobe, Brian, and Kaylee gasp. While Nicholas stands there staring at his sister, Matt, and Finn. He shakes his head not wanting to believe it. He is getting to really like Finn. "That can't be true." Nick looks at Matt in disbelief. Matt looks over at Nick, who is standing wide-eyed looking at his sister. He sighs. "It is." Finn growls. Matt looks at Finn and scowls. "And I have a good reason why." Matt says to Finn, trying to keep his anger under control. Finn and Kylie both look at Matt roll their eyes. "You think there is a good reason to try to constantly hit on me when you know I like Finn." Kylie says snippily. Matt recoils back, not expecting that tone or the words to come out of Kylie's mouth. He sighs, looking at Finn. "Yes, there is. It's something to do with the fact that Finn and I are both Mermen and somehow chosen Kylie as a BondMate." Matt explains before Finn's face gets redder than it already is.

"What in sane hill are you talking about Matt?" Kylie looks at Matt. Finn scowls at him waiting for more answers. "We demand more answers." Evie nods. "Me too." Brian, Jakobe, Kaylee, and Nicholas all nod in agreement. Matt looks at the group and shrugs his shoulders. "Bond mates are basically the alternative to land dwellers' married couples. Each Merman, when he is at least 15 or 16, will choose a Mermaid or Human to Bond with for the rest of their life." Matt takes a second for the information to sink into the group's brains. "And according to my great-great-grandfather King Poseidon; Alex..." Matt clears his throat. "I mean Finn and I seem to have both chosen Kylie our Bondmate. Matt says correcting his mistake. Everyone stares at him utterly confused. Kylie and Finn are still scowling at him, but he senses confusion coming from their auras. And everyone else seems to be completely confused. Besides Brian, he is staring at Matt curiously. Matt senses Brian's aura as confusion, but also as a hint of curiosity. "According to Ancient Lore and History; double bonds has only happened a total of 5 times in Mer-Folk history," Matt informs them. Kylie gasps. "What exactly does that mean?" Kylie asks breaking the silence.

Matt looks at Kylie. He wishes badly that only he chose her, but unfortunately, Finn also chose her as a Bondmate. Matt looks at Kylie and Finn, who both are wide-eyed and staring at Matt as if they are waiting for him to explain more. "A Bonding Ceremony is a little different than a marriage ceremony." He lets out in an exhausted breath. "Rings aren't exchanged and there is no signing a marriage certificate. There are also specific colors the Bondmates must wear to signify their unity in bonding together. They must wear white for purity and blue to represent the sea." Matt says plainly. Kylie and Finn both sigh and look at him confused. "I know. It's not ideal if you haven't grown up as a Mer-Folk. But it must be done like that." Finn rolls his eyes. He glares at Matt. "And what if one of us isn't really a true natural born Mer-Folk like a certain someone thinks." Finn shoots at Matt, his eyes piercing through Matt. Matt sighs annoyed. He clenches his fists, trying to keep himself from letting his rage out on Finn. He exhales and looks at Finn. "This certain someone knows for certain that you are a born Mer-Folk because we are related and my great-great grandfather is King Poseidon and I know he wouldn't lie to me." Matt says annoyed. Then Matt takes a step closer to Finn. Finn forms a deep, growl from beneath him and glares into Matt's eyes as they are face to face.

Kylie's eyes open wide in shock. She looks at Finn and Matt worried, her chest begins to tighten as her anxiety starts to get worse. She certainly doesn't want to break up another fight Finn is in. It's getting exhausting. She gently touches Finn's arm, hoping to calm him down. To her advantage, it works. Finn's fists unclench and is primal growl ceases. But Matt remains staring at Finn. She rolls her eyes annoyed. She starts to say something, but Matt takes a step back and points at Finn. "I feel it too. I know we are related Alex." Matt says as a matter of factly. Finn looks at Matt and rolls his eyes. "Was that your Mer-boy powers telling you that?" Finn shoots at him. Matt sighs as he looks at the group, who are all staring at him. Some are wide-eyed and others have their mouths hanging open. "No." Matt says. "My Merman powers." He corrects. Finn opens his mouth to say something but is interrupted by Kaylee.

Kaylee huffs. "What the heck is going on?" She demands. Brian and everyone else looks at Kaylee and shrugs. Brian looks at Matt and studies him curiously. Normally he can recognize another Mer-Folk by seeing their tattoo and he typically senses a strong difference than with other people. But with Matt, all he senses is a mystery and possible danger. He can't seem to channel his powers deep enough to find Matt's tattoo. And he can't get a strong enough feeling to confirm if he really is a Merman or not. Brian has heard rumors that Matt and his family came from Adelaide and they were outcasts there and they always seemed to practically be addicted to water. But Brian can't get enough evidence to figure out if the Miles are from a Mer-Folk family or not. Kylie's story about how weird Matt acted the first time she met him when he suddenly showed up at their house and the weird things he said to her and Finn. Brian also remembers the things Kylie told him and Jakobe and the rest of the group about how he acted around water when she, her dad, and Nick went to dinner with him and his family. Brian smirks. He was definitely keeping Matt on his Mer-Folk radar.