Chapter 2: Welcome! Part 2

Originally Published: 2013-2014; Updated July 2017; November 2019; September 3, 2021; September 25, 2021, 10:27 am; August 8, 2023; August 25, 2023.

      When Kevin, Kylie, and Nicholas get back from the Crab Shack; Nicholas and Kevin are talking in their spacious living room while Kylie is upstairs in her room talking on the phone with Jacob. Only the second phone call they have had since she moved to Australia.

      "Nicholas, son. I don't think that Finn was being nice because he wanted to be YOUR friend. I think he wants to be friends with Kylie." 

      Nicholas looks at his dad. "Okay. But...oh wait. You mean like Jacob and Kylie. Like they were before they were dating." Kevin nods slowly. "Yes, son. That's what I gathered." 

      Nicholas looks down at his hands. Which are still stained from the Cheetos he had as a snack on the way home, even though they had a sampler platter of Shrimp, Crab Meat, Lobster Bites, carrot sticks, and celery sticks at the Crab Shack. "Well. Okay then. I guess I'll have to make my own friends. That sucks. I liked him." "He doesn't know that he can't date Kylie though so maybe he can still be my friend dad. Do you think so?" Nicholas looks at his dad.

       Kevin is looking at the desktop screen of his beautiful family. He still hasn't changed the background of him, his ex-wife, and his amazing two kids. It's way too difficult to do. Especially after her death. The death that rocked their family. The death that happened the same month as basically any other bad thing that happened in their family. September may be the name of an Earth, Wind, & Fire song, but to them it's not lyrics, it's tragic memories. 

      Hours after Kylie gets off the phone with Jacob, she texts Lexie about her new school. Seaside Sydney United High School has a very long history. But she only tells her the basics and some interesting things. She tells her about the annoying School Uniform policy. She didn't have to wear school uniforms when she went to South Harrison in West Virginia. But now she has to deal with school uniforms every day. Well besides Spirit Week, the last day before their holiday breaks, and on Aussie National Holidays. Occasionally the principal lets them wear whatever they want if he feels like they are behaving and learning. But that's only on Fridays if he comes to that decision and he can revoke it whenever he wants. 

      Lexie's responses to the school dress codes are not polite. Lexie has always had a sailor's mouth. But that's one of the things Kylie loved about her, she tells people like it is. She never holds back. Something Kylie wishes she had recently. She's tired of Jacob stringing her along and the distance is killing her, but she can't break his heart after 3 years. He's her first boyfriend and she still loves him so much, but she still hurts from everything he has put her through.

      Kylie's mind drifts off to how different it'd be if Lucas didn't move after Summer Camp when she was 12. 

      A year before she and Jacob started dating, Kylie and her best friend since 5 years old finally kissed. She had a crush on Lucas for 3 years, but he never showed interest. She'll never forget when his lips touched hers, she was overrun with excitement. She asked him to be her boyfriend the next day at lunch after another kiss, but he told her he was moving. Then the start of the new school year, she tried to forget about Lucas.

      It worked because Jacob moved back after being away in Boarding School for a year and her crush on him came back and he looked cuter than ever. After school, he asked her out. She'll never forget what he said. When he walked her up to her steps after getting off the bus he nervously asked her to be his girlfriend. 

      His exact words were: "I know we've had a crush on each other for like ever, and I know you like Lucas Barker, but he's not here right now. So will you be my girlfriend Kylie Gabriela Couture? You're the only girl for me."