Chapter 18: Past Is The Past! Part 1

First Uploaded: March 2014 Dates updated: January or February 2018; October 31, 2019; Jan. 27, 2020 2PM)

"I don't I understand." Kylie whimpers as tears stream down here cheeks as she's leaning against the edge of the cave pool on Moanie Island. She rubs her eyes to see clearer. She looks around the cave admiring its beauty, trying to distract herself from what has her mind preoccupied. Two weeks ago Finn asked her out. Kylie said no that time because she was still heartbroken over Jacob. Now it's about 2 and a half weeks later and she wants to say yes. Thats what she was on her way to the the Crab Shack to do. Until she saw Finn talking to another girl. And they looked friendly. "I thought he liked me." She continues to cry. She and Finn have become good friends since she moved to Sydney. He's been giving her surfing lessons and she's been helping him with his Marine Biology homework. He started the class a bit late and she's been helping him catch up. They've been spending a lot of time together and she knows there has been chemistry between them. "If he really liked me, why would he kiss me and then days after talk to another girl." Kylie asks herself.
Jakobe slowly walks in through the tunnel entrance approaching Kylie cautiously. "You alright Kylie?" He asks concerned.

Kylie whips her head up at sees Jakobe standing a few feet away from the cave pool. She wipes her eyes and turns her head. "Yeah. I'm fine. It's nothing." She lies and sniffs back her sobs. Jakobe walks closer. "I didn't mean to overhear, but I heard you mention something about Finn. And I can tell you're crying. What's wrong?" Jakobe says concerned. A little bit of anger rising up on him thinking about Finn hurting his friend. Kylie looks at Jakobe, her eyes red and swollen from crying. "I went to tell Finn I wanted to go on a date with him since he asked me 2 and a half weeks ago, and I saw him with another girl." Kylie says plainly. Jakobe's eyebrows rise. "Are you sure it was what you think? Because I overheard that he's crazy about you." Kylie flinches. "What. I thought you hated him. Why do you want him to be with me? And yes, they looked pretty familiar with each other." She says sadly. Jakobe says. "Because I see how much you like him. And I like to see my friends happy." Kylie smiles.

"Thanks. That means a lot. But it looked like they were having a nice talk. They were laughing. And he hugged her. They looked..." She trails off. "Comfy together." Jakobe sighs. "What did she look like?" Kylie looks confused. "Why?" Jakobe says. "Just curious." Kylie explains what she looks like. Jakobe nods. "She was probably Mia." "Who's Mia?" She says curious. "His ex." Kylie squeals worried. Jakobe chuckles. "Don't worry. They aren't getting back together. Mia has a kid and.." "What?!" Kylie interrupts Jakobe and shrieks. Jakobe jumps back. Jakobe starts to say something, but Kylie rants. "He never told me he had a kid! That means he's not..." Jakobe interrupts her. "He doesn't have a kid." "Before she and Finn got together, she was in a relationship and that guy got her pregnant." "When she got with Finn, she was already 4  months pregnant and Finn was alright with it at first, until he found out who the guy was. Then he wasn't sure if he could help raise a baby that wasn't his. He wanted to try at first. But his rivalry with this guy was strong." Kylie looks at him confused. "How do you know all this Jakobe?" Kylie asks. Jakobe heavily sighs. He sits down in front of Kylie. "Because I'm the child's father." Kylie stares at him blankly. "What?! So you're Mias ex. Is that why you and Finn hate each other? Because you dated her first?" Jakobe shakes his head. "That made it worse. But it wasn't the beginning." He plays with the sand. "It started when I was 12 and he was 13. He and I had a crush on Mia the moment she arrived at our school. We were best friends at the time. We both tried to woo her for 2 years. When she and I were 14 1/2, Finn just turned 16. Finns aunt was acting weirder than usual and he was even more competitive at everything. Including getting Mia. Mia didn't like it. When she and I turned 16 and he was 17, she was tired of Finns competitiveness; so she chose me. At a party we had our first drinks and got drunk and things got out of hand and I got her pregnant. I didn't mean to let it go that far, and neither did she. But we weren't thinking clearly." Jakobe sighs. "She went to Finn months after we broke up. We didn't click. And that's when Finn was turning his life around. After his aunt walked out on him at 17." "But they didn't click either. So they ended things pretty quickly. They still talk occasionally." Jakobe finishes. "Finn had a few dates with some one else a few months later. But I'm not sure who it was with. Believe me, they definitely aren't getting back together."