Chapter 35: First Date! Part 2

FIRST UPLOADED: JANUARY 24, 2021 UPDATED: AUGUST 2, 2021 11:35 AM  

Matt's head whips up, his eyes widen in shock. The old man looks at Matt and smiles and nods. "I noticed the moment you walked in." He says looking at Matt's left arm. Matt looks at his shoulder and lifts his sleeve up. "You are one too?" He says shocked and a little out of breath. "I am." The man nods and gestures around his overalls and a floral print button-down shirt with a bolo tie. "This is a cover and the accent is also a cover." Matt nods. "Working here helps me keep my identity a secret. And I've come across several others like us and also people who are after us, So Matt, my dear; you and your friends must be careful." Matt flinches. "People are after us." Was his first response. The man nods. 

Then Matt realizes the man never met him before and Matt never has been inside this place before. Only outside. "How do you know I have friends? I'm new to town." He says. The bald man shrugs. "I am observant and I can hear people's thoughts if one of us is in danger." He informs Matt. Matt looks at him questioningly. The old man nods. "I know. It's hard to believe. But I assure you that I am telling you the truth. I am a Merman and you can trust me. I know your dad, that's how I know your name and knew who you were." Matt has chills running through him from the shocking discovery. Now that he isn't thinking about Kylie or food, he sees the man's tattoo. The exact tattoo he, Kylie, Brian, Evie, and Finn all have. 

Except he has added vines and waves to it in addition to an extra tattoo on his forehead. Like his dads. So he must be telling the truth. Only royal Mer-Folk gets the added vines and waves. And the Trident tattoo on the forehead. "You can be trusted. I know that now. Sorry for the second-guessing." Matt apologizes. 

The man smiles at him. "It's alright. When young Mer-Folk are distracted by things, the clarity of their powers can be tricky causing them to overthink and sometimes come up with the wrong conclusion." The man explains. Matt smirks. "That makes sense for a lot of things that have happened in my life and that are currently happening." He says. The old man chuckles. "Things can be baffling." He shoos Matt away. "Now go and wait for your food. I see your date has returned." 

He looks over to where Kylie is sitting looking around. Matt looks away from the man and over to the tables and spots Kylie. He squints his eyes confused. "She curled her hair. I've never seen her do that." Matt gasps. "And she's wearing makeup." Matt smiles. "She barely wears makeup either." He smiles. The old man nods. "Seems like she has the same feelings you have." Matt nods. "Maybe." He says. "Thank you, sir." He says staring at Kylie, using his Merman vision. "It's Mr. Miles." Matt nods and thanks him again and walks to Kylie, not paying attention to the guys' name. 

"Did we have a date I didn't know about?" Matt suddenly ignores his real feelings and reverts back to his usual flirting. Kylie's head turns around and looks at him and looks behind her confused. Then her face heats up. "Oh......Ummm no." She answers him nervously and looks at her phone. "I'm supposed to be meeting someone here." She looks around frantically. Matt's shoulders slacken. "Oh. I didn't think you and Finn were a thing for sure." He says sounding solemn. Kylie looks up at him and her heart drops to her stomach as she notices the look on his face. She hasn't seen him look so defeated. She has a sickening feeling he actually has real feelings for her and isn't just trying to get under Finn's skin. "Today is kinda our first date, that's why I have to leave soon." She smiles at the text from Finn and quickly texts back. "I normally wouldn't do this, but we......" She stutters not knowing how to explain her and Finn's situation and her past history without revealing too much. She sighs. "It's...." "Complicated." Matt completes for her. She nods. "Exactly." She smiles at Matt. "I'm sorry. My dad sprung this on me last minute and since the rest of school was canceled, we already planned on this date the moment it got canceled. I tried to tell my dad I would do it another day, but your dad was at my house talking to my dad and they both insisted that I'd show you and Lonnie around. I promise you that I don't normally flake on people." She rambles.

Matt smiles at her and chuckles. "It's okay. I already have food coming, so I can sit and eat while I read. And I know Lonnie was bummed she had to do an extra workout with her trainer. She was really wanting to make a friend. But I suppose it would have been pointless if she would have been here." He stammers on. Kylie nervously bites her lip, not knowing what to say. Matt tilts his head staring at Kylie's lips, wishing he could be the one to kiss her. Kylie looks at her phone and her eyes light up and she smiles giddily. Matt is in awe at her beautiful smile.

She looks at him and he quickly stops smiling. "Again I am so sorry I'm leaving you alone." She apologizes again. Matt shrugs. "It's okay. You already showed me around town. And I know where most of the important spots are. And the cool places to hang out and we both already know where to stay away from." He nudges her. Kylie chuckles nervously. "Yeah, we do." She agrees. "Apparently you aren't the only one at Seaside High who cleans up nice. I guess Finn can ditch his punk surfer look and trade it in for a more sophisticated look." Matt says looking at the entrance door. 

"Huh?" Matt points over to the door. Kylie's breath is taken away for a second as she sees Finn standing in the entrance dressed in an ironed light blue plaid button-down shirt and light gray jeans that she's never seen him wear before. "Damn, I thought I had a chance with you," Matt says looking at Kylie. 

Kylie quickly looks at Matt and blinks confused. "I've gotta go." Suddenly feeling embarrassed, Matt nods and tightly smiles. "Have a nice time." He says to Kylie. Kylie stands up. "I will. I wish I didn't feel like I was abandoning you. But we've been trying to plan this for a while." She says to Matt. She stands there waiting for him to say something, but he stays silent. "I'm sorry. I hope you enjoy your food." She turns around and walks toward Finn. She swears she thought she heard Matt say something about her short skirt and wishing he was the one going on a date with her, but she ignores it and continues walking to the door.