Chapter 9: Newly Formed! Part 2

First Uploaded: 2013-2014  Dates updated: January or February 2018 October Jan. 13, 2020

Moments later, when Kylie drops Nicholas off at home to their dad, he answers her text from earlier. He lets her know, in a French American accent she can go out. "But be careful Kylie. In fact, take my boat this time. Those boats on the docks are far too cheap to stay safe in."

Kylie and Nicholas's dad is an Oceanographer and has at least 3 different boats. One is still in West Virginia, but he makes her take the fishing boat built for rough waves. Kylie flinches not understanding how he found out about the first trip to Moanie.

Nicholas looks at her as shocked as she is. He shrugs confused. They both look at their dad waiting for an answer.

Their dad's thin lips form an upward grin enjoying this moment. Nicholas Couture enjoys pranking his kids every now and then , they prank him too. Their family is an odd family full of laughter and love. He's the kind of dad every kid wishes they'd have. The kind of dad who will take care of you when you're sick, go to sporting events and concerts with, and the kind of dad who jokes around continuously with his kids.  "Okay. I didn't follow you guys, so I still trust you. But you guys shouldn't have gone to that island by yourself, it's dangerous. If you guys ever go somewhere again without telling me. You'll be grounded."

Kylie nods at her dad. Their dad has always been their friend, but he lays down the law when he needs to. Like the embarrassing "Halfway Night" and the time Nicholas stayed up all night playing his PS3 and got a D on a test instead of doing his homework. Kylie looks at Nicholas and notices he is staring down at his lap.

She looks at her dad worried. Kevin motions toward the end table. "Get his meds!" Kylie quickly shuffles toward the end table next to the couch, tears running down her cheeks.

Kevin walks up to Nicholas and lifts his head up. But Nicholas suddenly jumps up and chants victoriously. "I got you! I got you!"

Kevin jumps back and Kylie turns around and drops the pill bottle. Kevin and Kylie stand in front of Nicholas shocked. Nicholas points at Kylie. "Who's the actor now?"

Kylie shakes her head. "Why would you do that Nicholas? We were scared you were having a seizure." Nicholas shrugs and shrinks down into the chair. Kylie bends down, picks up the bottle of Nicholas's medicine and launches the bottle at Nicholas. Nicholas holds his head in pain. "Ouch!"

Kevin turns to Kylie. "Kylie! Why did you do that?" Kylie flinches. She walks up to her brother checking his head for a mark. "Sorry. I didn't mean to hit your head. I just wanted it to hit your knee."

Kevin and Nicholas both chuckle. "I see your aim still hasn't gotten any better sis."

Kylie nudges him. "Yeah. It hasn't. But your acting has gotten better. I guess you're not just my sidekick anymore." Kylie looks down at him and playfully nudges him. "Hey!" Nicholas exclaims.

After they reconcile, Kevin tells Kylie that she should get to Mako before it gets dark. "Dad, I have several hours until it gets dark." She says in response. Kylie stands up and picks her hiking backpack up taking her dads advice anyway. She walks toward the door hovering her hand over the doorknob. Her dad still hasn't told them how he found out about their trip to Moanie.

She turns around to her dad and looks at him curiously. She opens her mouth to ask him how he found out. But he interrupts her before she can get any words out. Kevin looks at Kylie and Nicholas. He lets them know that he has a work friend who volunteers at the Marina and recognized them from a picture on his desk.

As a responsible and protective parent, he tells her to bring a first aid kit; a flare gun, snacks, and a life jacket. Before she heads to the shed outside to get everything, Kevin also tells her to bring a friend. Kylie turns around and glances at Nicholas. A lock of Kevin's blonde hair falls into his face as he tilts his head and crosses his arms at Kylie. "Not your brother. I mean someone who knows the island." Kylie tells him that she can find someone. She then smiles at him and Nicholas; waves; and then walks out the door.

*********After the long hour boat ride, Kylie arrives at one of the few beaches of the Island. Her palms sweating and heart racing, she wishes she would have found someone to bring along. Her paranoia and anxiety getting the better of her, she clutches her arms around her stomach and looks around the beach full of trees and no single person. She's certain she heard something. Shaking it off, she tries to focus on where she a Nicholas went.

If she would have gone with her instinct and brought Brian; she probably would have been safer and likely have found the cave. Sure, he'd hit on her, but she could handle it. He knows is way around Moanie Island and is obsessed with sea creatures and Marine Biology. So, if they came across something, he'd surely know what it was. Her next option was Finn. He knows some things about Marine life and wouldn't hit on her. But she doesn't want to ask him for favors yet and she's not sure if it'd be a good idea to be with him alone when she has no clue how to handle her emotions with him. And having a tour guide with her risks the chances of them finding out about her identity. That's something she is WANTING TO AVOID!