Chapter 3: New Kids In Town! Part 2

Originally Published: 2013-2014. Updated July 2017; November 2019; July 3, 2020; September 25, 2021; August 7, 2023; August 26, 2023. 

      After Jakobe and Brian leave, Kylie asks Nicholas if he wants to get something to eat at the Crab Shack before they go home. Nicholas says. "I guess." 

      Kylie asks another question. "You sure?" Nicholas replies. "Sure, as sugar." They both laugh. Then Kylie says, "Okay. Let me call Dad first and ask him if it's okay." Then she begins dialing their dad's number on her phone. 

      Then Kylie and Nicholas begin to walk away from the park. When Nicholas asks. "What do you think that Kaylee girl's problem was?" Kylie shakes her head and says. "I don't know, but she was giving me them snake eyes though."

       Nicholas shakes his head. They stop talking for a few minutes and indulge in the nice warm walk to the Crab Shack. After 5 minutes of walking silently, Kylie looks around her, trying to hone her Girl Scout abilities. Failing, she slouches her shoulders and huffs. "I wish Evie wasn't out of town."

       Nicholas nods. "Or maybe Finn was at the park and offered to bring us here." He says hoping one day he will be his friend. He's never had an older brother before. Jacob was the closest there was. Sure, his dad did a lot with him, but he was always closer to Kylie, and Nicholas never understood why. Being close to his sister was awesome, but he wished he had an older brother too.

      Kylie looks at her brother staring at a puddle with rocks and broken pieces of glass. She nudges him with her elbow. "Everything okay?" She asks. He looks up at her and shrugs his shoulders. "I'm kind of tired from everything. Moving is not fun." He dramatically wipes his forehead. Kylie laughs. "And people think I'm the dramatic one." She chuckles.

      Nicholas and Kylie laugh. She smiles at him and starts to say something, but a reckless Mountain Biker runs over a puddle and splashes water onto her causing her to jump back and yell at him. "Hey! Watch where you're going!" 

      The biker yells from a faraway distance. "It's only for bikes you tourist!" Kylie glances around trying to find any mark or sign that suggests so. She sees the sign right in front of her. She shrinks down embarrassed.

       Kylie looks at a 4-way intersection; two roads that look like a road not just for Bikes. She shields her eyes from the sun and points to the roads. "One of those roads should take us to the Crab Shack." Kylie says unsure.

       Nicholas looks at her. "Really?" He says challengingly. Kylie can sense his sarcastic tone. She looks at him. "What?" She sighs. 

      Nicholas looks past her. She follows his gaze. She looks in his direction and raises her arm to shield her eyes from the bright sun. "Oh my gosh! I'm an idiot." She puts her arm down and glares at Nicholas.

       Nicholas smirks at his sister. Loved that for once he noticed something before, she did. Kylie playfully punches him. "Why did you let me keep looking for the place when you saw the sign?" She says annoyed. Nicholas laughs. "You always find things easily and it was funny watching you search." He giggles. Kylie scowls. Then her lips loosen and form a slight smile. "You're a turd." She says laughing. Her 11-year-old brother got her good. They go left, the way the sign directs them to go.

      When Kylie and Nicholas are feet away from The Crab Shack, they notice Brian and Jakobe sitting on the sidewalk.  Kylie cringes. "Brian kinda creeps me out." Nicholas laughs. 

      The closer they get, they see that Brian is looking around aimlessly while Jakobe is intensely focused on his tablet. Brian catches Kylie and Nicholas in his peripheral vision walking up to the building. "It's those new kids." Brian looks at them.