CHAPTER 44: International Mermaid Day! Part 4

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: Monday, July 10, 2023

"Why aren't they going away." Kylie says frustrated. Picking at her tail she looks at Lonnie pleading for answers. "Why are some scales black?" She asks worried. Lonnie and Evie look at Kylie worried. But Lonnie looks at Kylie and shrugs. "You may have been cursed." Lonnie says as she sits next to Kylie. Kylie, Brian, Evie and Kaylee gasp startled. "No way." Kylie shakes her head refusing to believe it.

"So my theory might be true?" Kaylee looks at Lonnie scared. Lonnie looks at Kaylee, who is now sitting on the other side of Kylie. "I'm afraid it may be because she's experienced these before." Kylie nods and groans. "I have." Evie groans. "That stupid Sea Hag." Evie says as she walks away from the edge of the building, leaving Brian guarding it himself. Brian grunts annoyed. "She's a big bitch." He says as he walks over to his friends.

Kylie nods agreeing. "I agree." Finn's voice causes them all to jump. "Why aren't you guys guarding?" Finn motions toward the edge of the building where Evie and Brian where supposed to be standing. "Sorry dude." Brian walks over and watches for Gretchen.

Finn looks around nnervously. "Sorry about Gretchen. She's...." Finn chokes on his words. "An ex...." He trails off. Kylie gasps. Finn shakes his head and looks at Kylie. "Actually she's not exactly an ex." Finn pauses. He looks around and clenches his fist frustrated. "You don't have to tell us yet. Tell me when you are ready and when it's just me and you." Kylie says soothingly. Finn smiles at her widely. "How did I get so lucky." Kylie shrugs and bites her lip shyly.

Finn looks around him curiously. "Besides time is coming to close. So it doesn't matter if I'm ready. Everyone close to me needs to know soon." Finn continues to look around. He looks at Lonnie. "Where's Matt? Wasn't he supposed to be with you guys?" He asks. Lonnie snorts. "I'm not my brother's keeper." Evie chuckles. "That's the truth. He's too stubborn to take orders from anybody." Kylie nods agreeing. Finn chuckles. "Indeed."

Finn's eyes open wide. "Crap!" He says worried. "She's probably trying to target him next." Finn groans. "She likes younger guys." He says disgusted. He swiftly turns around and runs into Matt. Finn takes a step back, his eyes shoot open. He backhands him across the chest. "Ouch." Matt exclaims. Finn shakes his head, a sense of relief floods over him. "Sorry. I thought Gretchen was trying to lure you into her wicked grips." Finn explains. Finn tussles his hair and grunts. "I freaked out because Gretchen is a child predator and it seems like she hasn't changed." He sighs. Finn looks around worried. "Where's Jakobe?" Finn looks around worried, his blue eyes darting around.

"I don't know." Kylie says, looking around curiosuly. Brian peers from the corner of the building. "I don't know." He sighs. "As Lonnie would say." Brian pauses. "I'm not my brothers keeper." He chuckles. Finn frowns at Brian, not amused. "Okay. Now I'm worried."